Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

VMS Action to block host or network

To monitor the ips we use Monitoring Center for Security 2.1. In VMS SecMon 2.1, there is an action to block a Host or a Network by right clicking on the affending host.

According to the documentation for secmon viewer "Blocking a host causes a sensor to block all traffic emanating from the source IP address associated with the selected event. In a similar way, blocking a network causes the sensor to block all traffic emanating from the network that contains the source IP address of the selected event. Blocking is accomplished through a properly configured Cisco router."

ref: http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/rtrmgmt/cw2000/mon_sec/secmon20/ug/ch04.htm#wp322382

We have installed an IPS inline using a vlan pair.

I would like to be able to deny an attacker inline by manually clicking on an action from within VMS SecMon but when I use the block action the host is still permitted. It seams that this action will only work by configuring a blocking device. i.e. a Cisco ios router or a pix. Is this statement correct?

Is it possible from within the VMS console to tell the IPS to deny an attacking host or network by manually commanding it to do so in the same way blocking is done?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Silver

Re: VMS Action to block host or network

The action will only work by configuring a blocking device.

1 REPLY
Silver

Re: VMS Action to block host or network

The action will only work by configuring a blocking device.

Views
Helpful
Replies