cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VMS Maintenance Question

ajay_dand
Level 1
Level 1

The 'idsmdc.log' & 'idsmdc.db' file under %NMSROOT%\MDC\Sybase\IDS folder has grown to 10GB & 6 GB respectively. I'm using VMS2.2 on Win2K Machine. What are these files, and how do I prune these files? Is there a perl script available to prune these files? These files are growing all the time, and I believe these are the main databases where the events are stored. However this means that the hard disk is fast filling up. Any suggestions to mananage these files without losing on the functionality and the resources for auditing?

Also the database pruning script creates a lot of folders & files (I believe due to the archive data setting in the prune data configuration page.) How valuable is the archiving of pruned data?

Thanks in Advance.

Ajay Dand.

3 Replies 3

cskipper
Level 1
Level 1

Ajay

The following link will help you with managing the IPS MC DB. This link will best describe on how to manage that best fits your environmet.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/cscowork/ps3990/products_user_guide_chapter09186a008049cce9.html

Thanks

Hi,

Thanks for your help. However, there is another problem. As per the procedure outlined at the URL above, I need the system database password. However I had left the same blank at the time of installation. I tried supplying blank password in the script, but it says invalid password. Now, I read somewhere in the VMS2.3 (Correction!! I am using VMS 2.3 and not 2.2 as mentioned earlier.) installastion guide that if at the time of installation, no password is supplied when it asks for the system database password, then a random password is generated. In this scenario, how can I change the system database password or what is the method of recovery of the system database password?

Thanks for help in advance.

Ajay.

Ajay

Please contact TAC and ask "How to derive the VMS/IDSMC/Secmon passwords from the database and run dbvalidate" - They will be able to give you the solution to recover your password.

Thanks

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card