cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What does disabling csauser.dll do?

tim_graham
Level 1
Level 1

We are currently troubleshooting an issue where CSA 5.1 causes problems with Microsoft Dynamics CRM 3.0 Outlook Client.

As part of the troubleshooting process, we have disabled csauser.dll by renaming its entry in the registry.

This is allowing CRM Outlook Client to work correctly.

What functions of CSA have we disabled?

What effect does this have on the protection provided by CSA?

6 Replies 6

tsteger1
Level 8
Level 8

As I understand it, disabling csauser.dll will disable the System API rules. Basically all the Trojan Detection rules, buffer overflow, write memory, keystroke trapping, inject code, etc.

The hosts should still communicate with the MC and enforce the file, registry, and NAC rules because they are handled by different drivers.

I may not have included all the details but I think it's pretty close.

Tom

jasonsuplita
Level 1
Level 1

In my experience with CRM, it is the Email buffer overflow rule that causes issues. CRM always tries to call a system function from buffer when you first open it and if you don't allow it, the CRM function is greyed out in Outlook. Unfortunately, the "address pattern" is not the same for all users, so you basically have to allow all system function calls from buffer for Outlook.

tim_graham
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you everyone for the information.

We are currently working via TAC request on a solution.

I now have a better understanding of what disabling csauser.dll does. It's also nice to know that otheres have also seen this issue with Microsoft CRM.

Well good luck with it. You may try and create an application exception for CRM as an interim solution rather than disabling csauser.dll.

At least that way you'll have the rest of the protection enabled until there is a solution.

Tom

We are attempting to. It's made more difficult because CRM Outlook Client is a COM addin for outlook. There's no executable, just a few dlls.

Sounds like a challenge. I'm guessing you already tried a DAC rule that adds the CRM processes to an application class?

Then you might be able to create an application exception based on the DAC that would allow it to function.

Tom

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: