cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Why does the sensing interface flap or frequently go to the down state in IDS ?

CSCO11908070
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

this is the answer I found in Cisco website, but according to this, I didnot make any updates or any configuration changes, but stilll my sensing interface is going down. I'm not even getting the error messages which they have mentioned at the end.

Ans: During a signature update and reconfigurations, sensorApp stops to process packets as it processes the new signatures in the update. The network driver detects that sensorApp has stopped and pulls any new packets from the buffer. So the network driver does different things, which depends on the configuration and sensor model:

Promiscuous Interface—It brings the link down on the interfaces, and brings the link back up once sensorApp starts to monitor again.

Inline Interface or Inline Vlan Pair—It depends on the Bypass setting:

• Bypass Auto—The driver keeps the link up and begins to pass packets through without analysis. It then reverts back to sending the packets through sensorApp once sensorApp starts to monitor again.

• Bypass Off—The driver brings the link down on the interfaces, which is the same as in promiscuous mode, and brings them back up once sensorApp starts to monitor again.

So, if sensor app does not pull packets from the buffer, which possibly occurs because there is no interface configured to process packets, then the driver can put the interface in a down state.

These logs are seen when the sensing interface flaps:

28Jun2011 09:03:09.483 6050.885 interface[409] Cid/W errWarning Inline databypass has started. 28Jun2011 09:03:13.639 4.156 interface[409] Cid/W errWarning Inline databypass has stopped. 28Jun2011 09:19:23.922 970.283 interface[409] Cid/W errWarning Inline databypass has started. 28Jun2011 09:19:27.486 3.564 interface[409] Cid/W errWarning Inline databypass has stopped.
1 Reply 1

rhermes
Level 7
Level 7

It is possible you are overloading that little 4215. If that is the case you should also be seeing "missed packet percentage" messages in your events.

How much traffic is your 4215 getting? Those sensors will start to drop packets for inspection at about 30 Mb/s.

- Bob

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card