cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

without the license-key can we get all the ips features

sebastan_bach
Level 4
Level 4

hi all i have a ips 4215 sensor. i don;t have the license key installed it;s having the 5.0.1 image in it. so it comes with the default signatures. i want to know even without the license key will i get all the features of ip 4215. can u someone pls help me on this.

regards

sebastan

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

m.sir
Level 7
Level 7

Yes you will get all features of IPS sensor - its fully functional devices you only havent latest signatures (against latets attacks - but anyway IPS uses also heuristic analyze for detecting of attacks)....and 5.0.1 contains lot of signatures so you have good IPS device

Signatures can be downloaded from CCO if you have smartnet agreement - its same situation like with IOS ...:))

M.

Hope that helps rate

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

m.sir
Level 7
Level 7

Yes you will get all features of IPS sensor - its fully functional devices you only havent latest signatures (against latets attacks - but anyway IPS uses also heuristic analyze for detecting of attacks)....and 5.0.1 contains lot of signatures so you have good IPS device

Signatures can be downloaded from CCO if you have smartnet agreement - its same situation like with IOS ...:))

M.

Hope that helps rate

Hi,

You'll need to buy a "services for IPS" contract to enable you to get signature updates. Smartnet does NOT enable you to get signature updates.

The following link has all the detail:

http://www.cisco.com/application/pdf/en/us/guest/products/ps6076/c1592/cdccont_0900aecd8022e962.pdf

Once you've bought the contract you need to register the serial number of the module and then you'll be able to get updates. You can always get a 30-day trial license meanwhile.

Finally, if you're thinking about running an IPS sensor without updates then consider whether you'd run anti-virus without updates? (Without updates your IPS won't catch the next big malware - your network will be down and the IPS will be happily saying "nothing to see here!!")

HTH

Andrew.

Dear sir,

I don't have license key, I can still update signature to IPS 5.1.4 if I have the latest signature? That is right or wrong

Technically software upgrades to the sensor are only available to users who have purchased a support contract.

There are 3 basic types of support contracts.

1) Cisco Service for IPS that cover hardware, software upgrades, And Signature Support.

These start with:

CON-SU1-xxx through CON-SU4-xxx

and

CON-SUO1-xxx through CON-SUO4-xxx

where the numbers 1 through 4 represent different service levels.

The majority of customers will purchase one of the above contracts.

These contracts entitle you to a license file that will allow the installation of a signature update.

(NOTE: For Service Providers there are special contracts only available to them that begin with CON-SPxx-xxx. These are not purchased by standard customers.)

2) Support Contracts sold by Cisco Partners.

These contracts are not sold by Cisco, and instead are sold directly by Cisco Partners where the Partner provides the primary support.

These contracts typically ONLY cover hardware, and standard software upgrades.

They do NOT generally cover Signature Updates.

There are some IPS customers that have purcahsed these Partner supported Service Contracts.

These contracts generally do NOT entitle you to a license for the installation of signature updates.

3) Cisco Service for IPS contract that covers ONLY Signature Updates and can ONLY be sold in combination with a partner supplied support contract (#2 above).

In this situation the partner sold the hardware, and standard software support contract, and the Cisco Service for IPS contract ONLY covers the Signature Updates.

These contracts can generally only be purchased directly through the partner who sold the original partner support contract.

These part numbers begin with CON-SUSA-xxx.

These can not be purchased by the majority of IPS customers and should be purchased throught the partner company.

These contracts do entitle you to a license for the installation of signature updates.

--------------

So in answer to your question.

If you have NOT purchased a contract of type 1 or 2 above, then you are not entitled to any software upgrades (including 5.1(4)).

This includes major versions like 6.0(1), Minor Versions like 5.1(1), or Service Packs like 5.1(4).

So you need a contract to legally install the 5.1(4) Service Pack that you are referring to.

However, there is no Enforcement of this in the software. The software will let you install these upgrades because it does not know whether or not you purchased a contract.

(NOTE: There is a limited time exception immediately following original purchase of the sensor where I think you are entitled to the latest upgrade for a limited time period after purchase. I think it is 30 or 60 days after purchase but I am not sure.)

Signature Updates however are a different story.

To install Signature Updates you must have purchased a contract of either type 1 or 3 above.

With the purchase of those contracts you can then request a license file for the sensor.

The license file will then allow the installation of the Signature Update.

If you have not yet purchased a contract, then you can request a FREE Trial License. With the Trial License you can upgrade signatures on your sensor for a limited time. I believe it is limited to either 30 days or 90 days (can't remember which.)

So I would recommend requesting the FREE Trial license if you have not yet purchased a contract.

NOTE: Installing Major, Minor, or Service Pack upgrades will also do a One Time update of the signatures along with the installation of the upgrade. When included as part of the other upgrade, the signature update does not require the license.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: