cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CP 8831 without CUCM??

odufour01
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I'm relatively new to IP telephony, and a just bought a Cisco 8831 Ip Conference phone to complete our actual SPA 504g system of 8 units.

I don't use CUCM, so i was planning to configure 8831 as a standalone unit, with it's own registering configuration, as i did with our other phones. But i realize i have no access to any configuration page, and everything i read on the web points me to the Call Manager software. Do i really need to use it? Is there any way to configure the phone as a standalone unit? I don't want to buy a software just to configure one phone...

Your explanations and advices would really help!

Thank you.

Olivier

4 Replies 4

Anas Abueideh
Level 9
Level 9

Hi,

You need call manager or call manager express to use this phone. you can't use it standalone

kindly check the below data sheet

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/collaboration-endpoints/unified-ip-phone-8800-series/data_sheet_c78-726887.html

HTH

Anas

don't forget to rate the helpful posts

Thank you Anas for your answer. We are in a Macintosh environment, and we don't use any local server since all our shared files are on Dropbox and GoogleDrive. So, in this case, i suppose i have no option than trying to sell my 8831 and try to find an other standalone model?

Is there any way to use Cm Express locally on a pc and use it to "push" configuration to the phone without having to set a permanent server?

Again, thank you so much for your help.

Olivier

Hi Oliver,

for CM express you need a voice gateway to configure that. for CUCM you need a virtual machine in VMware over cisco UCS server.

are you looking for stand alone conference audio or video ?

HTH

Anas

don't forget to rate the helpful posts

Hi Anas,

I'm just looking for a good quality ip conference phone for voice only. Maybe i could resell my 8831 on ebay and buy another model... Would you recommend one in particular?

Thank you,

Olivier