Views
Helpful
Replies

Difference between CUCM vs CUCM SME

KY_
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Everyone,

I'm confusing  what's the difference between CUCM SME and CUCM edition.When I look at the following guide  I see that is very limited explanation available. There is  seperate ISO available on cisco.com for SME editition. I also know SME is focused sip trunk desigin.

Can you please someone give me more much information about CUCM SME . SRSND explain it on Sip trunk chapter but i want to know is there any SME guide or deployment guide evailable on cisco.com

http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/Unified_Communications_Manager_-_Session_Manager_Edition

I also look this  tec example. The another  question is that Does SME  user interface same complately with cisco call manager ?

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/solutions/enterprise/interoperability-portal/networking_solutions_products_genericcontent0900aecd805bd13d.html

What is the difference between these two product.

How can I deploy SME

Thanks,

8 Replies 8

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

There is no separate image for SME, you use the same image for CUCM, the basic difference is that you will only have SIP trunks coming and going from that CUCM to centralize the dial plan and re-direct the calls as required to the applicable cluster. You can also use ILS to assist in centralizing the dial plan.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

I undersood Jaime,

My question is that why SME exist at that time ?

It could  be difference but  there is a different update files available for SME.

My main question how can i give SME role on CUCM.

You are saying that if CUCM only used for  sip trunk that mean SME  right ? (not phone registered)

https://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=282820682&softwareid=282074295&release=10.5(2)SU4&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=&reltype=latest

Thanks

Hi Kemal,

As  Jaime mentioned, there is no separate image for SME as it is the same as normal CUCM. The only difference is that it wont be used for phone registrations and used mainly for call routing between clusters or various devices.

To setup SME, you need to install the CUCM with the usual procedure and add the SME in product instance of any existing ELM/PLM. YOu might need to buy SME licenses (paper licenses) which is right to use as mentioned in this link.

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en_us/partners/downloads/partner/WWChannels/technology/ipc/downloads/uc_og-ucl_cucm_mcs_cer_CUxAC_cime_sme-edcs840769.pdf

HTH

Rajan

I'm not too sure if that's just a paper license (as you do need to register it to a PLM), AFAIK, the special SME license you could order, was a 5 (or some other small number) user license you would install on your PLM (ideally the co-res PLM) and register your CUCM/SME to it, to have it properly licensed.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Hi Manish

You very good explained it .

Last question SME. Can I say that SME is basicly transparent  for managed and centralization calls and it used generaly proxy device. Can I able to register any  endpoind  SME can you please comfirm me. I understand SME are call management and trunk management application like a  CUBE . Interface is same always with CUCM.

which license required for SME .  When I install  SME would I have PLM  on my  SME  server  at the same time?

Thanks

Session Management Edition routes among SIP-compliant elements and interworks with older components using legacy protocols (for example, H.323 and Q.SIG).

Manish Gogna
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can check the SRND for the difference and deployment related details:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/srnd/9x/uc9x/models.html#wpxref26639

When to Deploy Unified CM Session Management Edition

Cisco recommends deploying Unified CM Session Management Edition if you want to do any of the following:

Create and manage a centralized dial plan

Rather than configuring each unified communications system with a separate dial plan and trunks to connect to all the other unified communications systems, Unified CM Session Management Edition allows you to configure the leaf unified communications systems with a simplified dial plan and trunk(s) pointing to the Session Management cluster. Unified CM Session Management Edition holds the centralized dial plan and corresponding reachability information about all the other unified communications systems.

Provide centralized PSTN access

Unified CM Session Management Edition can be used to aggregate PSTN access to one (or more) centralized PSTN trunks. Centralized PSTN access is commonly combined with the reduction, or elimination, of branch-based PSTN circuits.

Centralize applications

The deployment of a Unified CM Session Management Edition enables commonly used applications such as conferencing or videoconferencing to connect directly to the Session Management cluster, thus reducing the overhead of managing multiple trunks to leaf systems.

Aggregate PBXs for migration to a Unified Communications system

Unified CM Session Management Edition can provide an aggregation point for multiple PBXs as part of the migration from legacy PBXs to a Cisco Unified Communications System.

Differences Between Unified CM Session Management Edition and Standard Unified CM Clusters

The Unified CM Session Management Edition software is exactly the same as Unified CM. However, the software has been enhanced significantly to satisfy the requirements and the constraints of this new deployment model. Unified CM Session Management Edition is designed to support a large number of trunk-to-trunk connections, and as such it is subject to the following design considerations:

Capacity

It is important to correctly size the Unified CM Session Management cluster based on the expected BHCA traffic load between leaf Unified Communications systems (for example, Unified CM clusters and PBXs), to and from any centralized PSTN connections, and to any centralized applications. Determine the average BHCA and Call Holding Time for users of your Unified Communications system and share this information with your Cisco account Systems Engineer (SE) or Cisco Partner to size your Unified CM Session Management Edition cluster correctly.

Trunks

Where possible, avoid the use of static MTPs on Unified CM trunks (do not enable MTP required on the SIP or H.323 trunks of leaf Unified CM or Unified CM Session Management Edition clusters). Trunks that do not use "MTP required" offer more codec choices; support voice, video, and encryption; and do not anchor trunk calls to MTP resources. Dynamically inserted MTPs can be used on trunks (for example, for DTMF translation from in-band to out-of-band). If SIP Early Offer is required by a third-party unified communications system, use either the "Early Offer support for voice and video calls (insert MTP if needed)" on Unified CM SIP trunks or the Delayed Offer to Early Offer feature with Cisco Unified Border Element.

Unified CM versions

Both the Unified CM Session Management Edition and Unified CM leaf clusters should be deployed with Cisco Unified CM 7.1(2) or later release. Cisco Unified CM 8.5 or later release is recommended because those versions include features that improve and simplify call routing through Unified CM and Session Management Edition clusters. Earlier versions of Unified CM can be deployed but might experience problems that can be resolved only by upgrading your cluster to Unified CM 7.1(2) or later release.

Interoperability

Even though most vendors do conform to standards, differences can and do exist between protocol implementations from various vendors. As with any standard Unified CM cluster, Cisco strongly recommends that you conduct end-to-end system interoperability testing with any unverified third-party unified communications system before deploying the system in a production environment. The interoperability testing should verify call flows and features from Cisco and third-party leaf systems through the Unified CM Session Management cluster. To learn which third-party unified communications systems have been tested by the Cisco Interoperability team, refer to the information available on the Cisco Interoperability Portal at

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/solutions/ns340/ns414/ns728/interOp_ucSessionMgr.html

Load balancing for inbound and outbound calls

Configure trunks on the Unified CM Session Management Edition and leaf unified communications systems so that inbound and outbound calls are evenly distributed across the Unified CM servers within the Session Management cluster. For more information on load balancing for trunk calls, refer to the chapter on Cisco Unified CM Trunks.

Design guidance and assistance

For detailed information on Unified CM Session Management Edition designs and deployments, refer to the Cisco Unified Communications Manager Session Management Edition Deployment Guide, available at

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10661/products_implementation_design_guides_list.html

Unified CM Session Management Edition designs should be reviewed by your Cisco SE in conjunction with the Cisco Unified CM Session Management Team.

HTH

Manish

I would add the Delay requirement of SME clustering as a major difference between "normal" cucm. 500ms allow you to create SME cluster over diverse WAN, which allows you to resolve weird clustering situations.