cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

100% Encryption limitation on CUCM 8/9 ??

nishjhony
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Team,

I would like to understand the possible limitation for 100% encryption of IP Phones registered in CUCM 8/9.

I heard that 100% encryption will bring down the size of the cluster. For eg: If we have 30000 IP Phones without encryption, after 100% encryption we can only have 25000 IP Phones registered to the CUCM cluster.

I would like to understand the possible reason for the above.

Licensing and bandwidth is not the reason I believe.

4 Replies 4

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Simply because the encryption procedure takes more CPU, and the amount of call control traffic generated is more than on a not encrypted deployment.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Hi Jaime,

Thanks for the reply. I really appreciate it.

Can you also please direct me to any document supporting this?

I need to prepare the deck and present it.

Thank You.

Hi Jaime,

After analysing your reply, my reply is you are speaking about the operation part (call control traffic). But my question is about the registration of IP Phone.

Yeah I agree that 100% encryption will make CPU over loaded during the operation. This can be considered as the second drawback of 100% encryption.

My question is will 100% encryption bring down the number of IP Phones regestering to the CUCM. If so what is the exact reason? Is there any Cisco document for this?

Thank You.

Registration messages and keepalives are also encrypted.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: