cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2800 Inline Power Distribution

nagel
Level 1
Level 1

Vendor is saying that we need to purchase Inline Power Option for 2821 Voice Bundle Router. Does this box not run on regular AC? Any advantages (other than obvious) for going with Inline Power Distribution option? Also I am planning on moving VWIC2 (1MFT) card and PVDM2 (64) from an older 2801 over to new 2821. Would you know if this is workable or if there are issues? Thanks in advance for the help....

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

I believe the Inline Power Option refers to provide PoE on the ethernet ports. There are Etherswitch NME's that provide 16 or 32 ports of powered ethernet, but they require an upgraded power supply on the router to support the power requirement going to the phones.

If you are looking for an "all-in-one" branch solution (rather than seperate router and switch) and you will be supporting IP phones, I would recommend a PoE etherswitch NME. Powering phones with power bricks is more expensive and much more troublesome.

Chris

View solution in original post

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Lonnie,

Just to add a note to the great tips from Chris (+5 points here Chris :)

Both modules that you refer to above are supported on the 2821's, so you should be good to go :)

https://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps5854/ps5882/product_data_sheet0900aecd8016fa68.pdf

Hope this helps!

Rob

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

I believe the Inline Power Option refers to provide PoE on the ethernet ports. There are Etherswitch NME's that provide 16 or 32 ports of powered ethernet, but they require an upgraded power supply on the router to support the power requirement going to the phones.

If you are looking for an "all-in-one" branch solution (rather than seperate router and switch) and you will be supporting IP phones, I would recommend a PoE etherswitch NME. Powering phones with power bricks is more expensive and much more troublesome.

Chris

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Lonnie,

Just to add a note to the great tips from Chris (+5 points here Chris :)

Both modules that you refer to above are supported on the 2821's, so you should be good to go :)

https://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps5854/ps5882/product_data_sheet0900aecd8016fa68.pdf

Hope this helps!

Rob

Really won't be needing switch options as router will feed PRI into a 3560 (POE) switch that dat and voice will connect to. Therefore, I won't be needing AC-IP option on Router?

That is true. If you are going to be using a 3560 POE, then you won't need any kind of inline power option on the router. Just break the news about his lack of commission to the Cisco AM gently. They are so sensitive about that kind of thing :)