cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2901 - POTS Module Help

Gateway Church
Level 4
Level 4

The thing I struggle with most is getting the correct parts.  I have spoken with two VARs and gotten two conflicting answers. I thought I would open it up here.

I have a remote site that is very small.  I plan to purchase a 2901 ISR to configure as the Gateway within our Call Manager.  I would then route the calls locally over POTS lines.  Which module or card do I need to plug in my POTS lines. 

I have both a VIC3-4FXS/DID and a VIC2-4FXO card.  Which one will allow me to utilize the inbound and outbound calls on the POTS lines to work?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

VIC2-4FXO is for the outbound and inbound calls.

VIC3-4FXS is for analog phones.

Hope this helps

Gabriel

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

VIC2-4FXO is for the outbound and inbound calls.

VIC3-4FXS is for analog phones.

Hope this helps

Gabriel

Thank you for confirming what I know to be true, but I must ask.  What would be an application of a FXS card?  It is for me to run an RJ-11 cable to an analog phone while the FXO card is for me to run an analog line into our system?  Am I grasping this correctly?

FXS can be used for any analog types of services.  For example a fax machine can be connected to an FXS port for outbound use.  I have them connected to Paging devices, postage machines, etc.

Correct. It is important to say too, that you can configure your FXS card to use it as a SCCP device, so you can create an ephone and ephone-dn for each FXS port.

HTH

Gabriel

Make sure you have DSP resources installed.  A PVDM-16 should be sufficient.

I have certainly fallen victim to that before.  Thank you for the reminder.  If you buy a "Voice Bundle" it comes with the PVDM3-16.  This of course is not enough when a full T1 is involved.... 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: