cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2901 - POTS Module Help

Gateway Church
Level 4
Level 4

The thing I struggle with most is getting the correct parts.  I have spoken with two VARs and gotten two conflicting answers. I thought I would open it up here.

I have a remote site that is very small.  I plan to purchase a 2901 ISR to configure as the Gateway within our Call Manager.  I would then route the calls locally over POTS lines.  Which module or card do I need to plug in my POTS lines. 

I have both a VIC3-4FXS/DID and a VIC2-4FXO card.  Which one will allow me to utilize the inbound and outbound calls on the POTS lines to work?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

VIC2-4FXO is for the outbound and inbound calls.

VIC3-4FXS is for analog phones.

Hope this helps

Gabriel

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

VIC2-4FXO is for the outbound and inbound calls.

VIC3-4FXS is for analog phones.

Hope this helps

Gabriel

Thank you for confirming what I know to be true, but I must ask.  What would be an application of a FXS card?  It is for me to run an RJ-11 cable to an analog phone while the FXO card is for me to run an analog line into our system?  Am I grasping this correctly?

FXS can be used for any analog types of services.  For example a fax machine can be connected to an FXS port for outbound use.  I have them connected to Paging devices, postage machines, etc.

Correct. It is important to say too, that you can configure your FXS card to use it as a SCCP device, so you can create an ephone and ephone-dn for each FXS port.

HTH

Gabriel

Make sure you have DSP resources installed.  A PVDM-16 should be sufficient.

I have certainly fallen victim to that before.  Thank you for the reminder.  If you buy a "Voice Bundle" it comes with the PVDM3-16.  This of course is not enough when a full T1 is involved....