cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3rd Party advanced SIP Phone Registration Issue (Lifesize Icon Video Codec) to CUCM

Jim Matuska
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to register and use a Lifesize VIdeo Conferencing Codec (Icon 600) with our Callmanager phone system.  

I have setup a 3rd party advanced phone and extension with the Icon's MAC address and setup an extension and user for this phone.  (using the following document as well as others for reference:  https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/admin/9_0_1/ccmcfg/CUCM_BK_CDF59AFB_00_admin-guide-90/CUCM_BK_CDF59AFB_00_admin-guide_appendix_01100111.pdf

The problem I have is if I use the default SIP Non Secure Security profile that does not have digest authentication enabled the Icon Phone Registers and I can call between Cisco Phone and the Icon and vice versa but the phones only ring and when picked up the call is dropped immediately.  

If I use a SIP Security Phone Profile that I setup with digest authentication it is even worse and the phone registration is rejected.  

Any ideas what I am missing?  

Jim

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I found my issue.  It turns out for some reason the CallManager and Lifesize Icon didn't like using the G.729 codec.  As soon as I changed my device pool to one that uses only G.711 for the Icon extension the calls now go through and work just fine.  Lifesize Support tells me that the Icon's support G.729 but sometimes have issues with 3rd party interconnects such as these and another codec may have to be used.  

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Ratheesh Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there

I would be curious to know if you have selected the Owner user id on the phone config.

Hope this helps!

Cheers
Rath!

***Please rate helpful posts***

Yes owner userid is set on the phone.  

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I still use this excellent blog post as reference material when I have to configure 3rd-party SIP phones in CUCM:
https://www.netcraftsmen.com/sip-endpoints-in-cisco-cucm-x-lite-as-an-example/

I found my issue.  It turns out for some reason the CallManager and Lifesize Icon didn't like using the G.729 codec.  As soon as I changed my device pool to one that uses only G.711 for the Icon extension the calls now go through and work just fine.  Lifesize Support tells me that the Icon's support G.729 but sometimes have issues with 3rd party interconnects such as these and another codec may have to be used.  

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: