Views
Helpful
Replies

6911 Cinder Block Wall Mount

jamescox3
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm about to put a Cisco VoIP phone system into a school district, to replace an aging PBX phone system. we are planning on putting 400 6911 into classrooms and going to wall mount all the phones within 6 feet of the classroom doors.The problem we are coming up against is we can't figure out how to wall mount the phone on to cinder block walls.

The current plan is to run raceway down the wall to the location of the phone drop a Cat6 cable down the raceway and terminate into a Panduit Modular Cat6 female jack. We have a handful of the 6911 wall mount brackets to mock up, but can't figure out how to get the Cat6 into the mount as it will be flush with the wall with no access from behind. And being a steel bracket I doubt it will be easy to cut a hole in the top to drop the cable in, and the fact that we have 400 of them makes that time consuming.

We have thought of using 1/4 inch plastic washers between the mounting plate and the wall so it is not flush but it looks tacky at best.

Does anyone know of a different bracket that we might be able to use on the brick wall or should i start looking at fireing up the bandsaw and cut the brackets?

Thanks

James

Network Administrator

Wissahickon School District.

1 Reply 1

tzunt
Level 1
Level 1

James,

Although you could notch the brackets as mentioned and run cable thru raceway to them, the right way imo would be to employ a cable company to run Cat6 and install 2-post wall mount jacks for you at each location.  Then, the Cisco brackets fasten to the wall around the jack with wall anchors and none of the cable is exposed, as seen here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cuipph/6901_6911/8_0/english/admin/guide/6911apxe.html

We had a job recently in a healthcare environment with block walls and  about 20 wall mounted 8961s and this worked pretty well.  The cinderblocks are hollow as you know and cable can be fished through them.  This is definitely a job for an experienced electrician or cabler.  I'm sure it would be expensive on the scale you described, but so would the purchase of the raceways.  Depending on the environment, the adhesive fasteners for the raceways can loosen eventually and be messy.  That's definitely a big job.  Good luck!