Views
Helpful
Replies

6941 speakerphone quality issues

mjmummert
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We are having problems with our cisco 6941 voip phones echoing when the speakerphone is turned up loud.  We do not believe it is network related related since it doesn't happen when the receiver is picked up.  Are there any options that you suggest, or is this a common problem among voip phones?

7 Replies 7

Joseph Martini
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Is the 6941 near a wall or anything like that?  Does it happen to every 6941?  The speaker phone can pickup it's own output more easily than the handset.

Joe,

Thanks for the prompt response.  The 6941's would be close to office cubicle walls in certain areas.  This has been an isolated problem we have had users complain about from various offices.  We are running firmware 9.0.3.0 on all phones.  I wasn't sure if there was a different codec or device setting in unified cm or on the uccx server we could change?

Thanks

mjmummert
Level 1
Level 1

After doing a little research, it appears that this is a common problem with voip phones, with the variable delay inherent in voip networks.  Is there any echo cancellation algorithms that can be implemented with our voip network, to try and help with these issues?  Are there any that is recommended to implement?

Hi Matt,

Depending of the echo delay, echo cancel may work or not.

Usually, the echo cancellation works when the delay is up to 128ms. If there is a more delay, the router won't help (128ms is already really high, since this feature has been done to protect from the echo generated on the network/links, not the one with the speaker phones).

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3/vvf_c/voice_port_configuration_guide/ch6_hwec.html

It may help a bit.

Thanks,

Nick

bastienbertout
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Did you find any solution to this problem ?

I have many users complaining about this as well ...

Thanx

Bastien.

Hello,

No we have not found a solution to this echo problem yet.  If anyone has any solutions or things to try, please let us know.

Thanks,

Matt

Hi,

I had the same problem with you.

Upgrade phone load to latest (9.0.3b) solved this for me.

Try it and let me know.

Elias