cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

7841 call waiting display

dbooth
Level 1
Level 1

The user guide for the 7841 says the following about Call Waiting and multiple calls on the same line;

Respond to Call Waiting Notification
Perform one of the following actions to answer a waiting call:
Scroll to display the sessions if the call is on the same line but not visible.

However on a current rollout of some 7841s it's been observed that when a second call comes in on the primary line, after the call toast fades out there is no way to view the info about the waiting call.  Pressing the up/down navigation buttons has no effect.

Am I misinterpreting the instructions in the User Guide or is this phone not doing what it is supposed to?

Thanks.

5 Replies 5

aateek singh
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Respond to call waiting notification

This feature is applicable only if your phone supports multiple lines

and ip phone 7841 is mentioned in this doc

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cuipph/7821_7841_7861/10_1/english/user_guide/PA2D_BK_UB7EF0F0_00_user-guide-7821-7841-7861/PA2D_BK_UB7EF0F0_00_user-guide-7821-7841-7861_chapter_010.html#PA2D_TK_R67378C8_00 

Call waiting Notification lets users receive a second incoming call on the same line without disconnecting the first call. When the second call arrives, the user receives a brief call-waiting indicator tone, which is configured with the Ring Setting (Phone Active) in the Directory Number Configuration window.

Configure call waiting in the Directory Number Configuration window in Cisco Unified Communications Manager Administration by setting the busy trigger (greater than 2) and maximum number of calls.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/admin/7_0_1/ccmsys/cucm-accm-701/a03dn.html#wp1098941

Regards,
Aateek Singh
Network Engineer
Spooster IT Services

So are you saying I am right or am I wrong?  Is the phone not doing what it is supposed to do?

When a second call comes in and after the toast fades out, should pressing the up/down navigation buttons display the info for the waiting call as the doc implies?

Hi,

I would suggest you to first check the busy trigger value in CUCM because if the busy trigger value set is not greater that 2 then call waiting for phones will be configured with no display

please refer the the same Doc in previous reply.

Regards
Aateek singh
Network Engineer
Spooster IT Services 

So if busy trigger is set to 2 (which is the default) you could be on an active call, a second call could come in and then once the call toast has faded out there's no way for the end user to retrieve the display of the waiting call?  Does that not seem a bit odd?

I think you guys are talking two different things here.  The OP is talking about the fact that on all the 7800 series phones, once the toast notice fades out, its almost impossible for a user to retrieve a call on hold or a call waiting.  Its extremely annoying.  For this one reason, we no longer use, sell, or recommend the 7800 series phones except for occasional workers or as public area phones.  I wish Cisco would reconsider this behavior.  The 7800 series phone is a good phone, but this one 'feature' just makes it more or less unusable.  

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: