cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

78xx Phone Console Cable

Phill Johntony
Level 1
Level 1

I am working with TAC on some 7841 phone issues and the engineer mentioned it is possible to console into the phone using a DB9 to RJ11 cable in the AUX port.

Rather than purchase one of these and wait for it to ship I figured I could take an existing switch rollover cable and plug that into a coupler, then into another cable pinned out to RJ11. Trouble is I am having difficulty understanding the pinouts. Could any kind gents help a fellow out?

3 Replies 3

acampbell
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Phil,

I made up a cable pinned like this:-

RJ11 pin ---- DB9 pin

2 -------------- 3

3 -------------- 5

4 -------------- 2

Type cisco
and the output should appear

Hope this helps
Regards
Alex

Regards, Alex. Please rate useful posts.

I've tried this and it does not work. I am trying to use a rollover cable in the middle since I have no way of wired the DB9 end. So I need to know now how to match the pinout of the DB9 to RJ45, then to RJ11.

Hi Phill,

Since you have already  TAC case opened , you can get the PIN details  from engineer.

On DB-9 connector , you can find the numbering and for RJ-45/11, keep the clip/Jack  facing towards earth and count from left[starting from 1 ] to right.

regds,

aman 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: