Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

78xx Phone Console Cable

I am working with TAC on some 7841 phone issues and the engineer mentioned it is possible to console into the phone using a DB9 to RJ11 cable in the AUX port.

Rather than purchase one of these and wait for it to ship I figured I could take an existing switch rollover cable and plug that into a coupler, then into another cable pinned out to RJ11. Trouble is I am having difficulty understanding the pinouts. Could any kind gents help a fellow out?

Everyone's tags (2)
3 REPLIES
Green

Phil,I made up a cable pinned

Phil,

I made up a cable pinned like this:-

RJ11 pin ---- DB9 pin

2 -------------- 3

3 -------------- 5

4 -------------- 2

Type cisco
and the output should appear

Hope this helps
Regards
Alex

Regards, Alex. Please rate useful posts.

I've tried this and it does

I've tried this and it does not work. I am trying to use a rollover cable in the middle since I have no way of wired the DB9 end. So I need to know now how to match the pinout of the DB9 to RJ45, then to RJ11.

VIP Purple

Hi Phill, Since you have

Hi Phill,

Since you have already  TAC case opened , you can get the PIN details  from engineer.

On DB-9 connector , you can find the numbering and for RJ-45/11, keep the clip/Jack  facing towards earth and count from left[starting from 1 ] to right.

regds,

aman 

Views
Helpful
Replies