Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

7911 Problems

I've been having issues with 7911s at several installs now. Basically what happens is that I plug in all the phones, all the 41s, 61s, etc all register real quick, but the 7911s sit there FOREVER configuring IP. I know that they pull an IP from DHCP but they take their sweet time trying to do an upgrade. I've had this problem ONLY with the 11s and on both CME and Call Manager 5.1. Anyone else see something like this? Is there a fix? Right now I just wait for them to come up (some come up after 20+minutes) or sometimes a forced reset via the keypad helps.

3 Replies 3

leemj001
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Yes!

I would be really interested to hear what the phone firmware is before it registers and upgrades to your CCM 5.x install.

I've been working with a large retail company deploying 7911's in CME environments for the last year. We have had nothing but problems with registration with the 7911's

We have an open TAC case, but the process has been slow, no fault of the TAC - just our workload.

In the last few months the problem has become more intermittent as the phones are shipping with later firmware. Typically with in the last couple of months they have been shipping with 8.2(2).

The TAC have identified the bug CSCsg07708 "init never performs reimage in certain rare timing instances"

I'm still not 100% convinced that the issue as been completely resolved. I have received phones with firmware 8.2(2) that fail to register and upgrade to 8.2(2)SR1

The quickest way we have found to resolving the problem during installation is to erase the phone config.

Hold down the # while plugging in the POE ethernet cable, then follow the standard config erase sequence. "123456789*0#" and moving to the next phone while it reboots and it should register.

Regards.

Mike.

mljevakovic
Level 3
Level 3

FYI

I have the same problem :( and I'm still waiting an answer from Cisco representative.

Jon Nelson
Level 3
Level 3

There is a known bug with the firmware that has been shipping with the 7911's. I am looking for the exact version, but the problem lies with how the switchports are configured. If the switchport is configured as a trunk, either the traditional way or the new way, the phone has an issue registering. If you configure the switchport as an access port in the voice VLAN, the phones register right up and should download the current firmware on the CM or CME.

We have been running into this issue and this was the fix that we implemented to make it work. Of course, this requires the switchports to be reconfigured to support a trunk if the design calls for it.

I will look for the firmware version that has been shipping on the 7911's and re-post out here.

Thank you,

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: