cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

7914 labels

ckardos
Level 1
Level 1

Is there a way to label the 7914 side cars? I currently have the extension only on the lines, but the client would like the users name. I know you can label the ephone-dn, but isn't that going to change the display on the end users phone as well. Would I need to label every ephone-dn with their name and leave it at that or can I have the extension on the user phone and the name on the sidecar?

4 Replies 4

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Chris,

Have you tried applying Labels (Text Name) as suggested below? This will not impact the End-user Display.

Label Support

The label support feature controls the display adjacent to an ephone-dn line button. By default, an IP phone displays the extension number that is set using the number command under an ephone-dn. The label support feature allows you to enter a meaningful text string for each ephone-dn so that a phone user with multiple lines can select a line by name instead of by phone number, thus eliminating the need to consult in-house phone directories.

SUMMARY STEPS

1. ephone-dn dn-tag

2. label label-string

3. exit

4. ephone phone-tag

5. restart

6. exit

label label-string

Example: Router(config-ephone-dn)# label user1

Creates a custom label that is displayed on the phone next to the line button that is associated with this ephone-dn. The custom label replaces the default label, which is the number that was assigned to this ephone-dn.

label-string String of up to 30 alphanumeric characters that provides the label text.

From this good CME doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps4625/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00804ad7ff.html#wp2177784

Hope this helps!

Rob

I haven't tried it yet, but I guess my problem is that the lines I have on the sidecars are monitor lines using the same dn # as the end user... If I apply the text to the ephone-dn, what stops it from changing the end users line?

Hi Chris,

My BAD! I was referring to to Outgoing CLID Display from these phones :( I am pretty sure that you are correct that the Label will apply to all appearances of the ephone-dn. I believe this is "all or nothing".

Hope this helps!

Rob

Perhaps the idea is that the extension number is displayed on top unless you change it with "description". And the labels is meant to a internal short alpha id, like email name.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: