cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

7925G Phones Registering to Publisher

Jeff Johns
Level 4
Level 4

We have approximately 700+ 7925s.  One Sub one Pub.  TFTP active on both Pub and Sub.

All phones should be registering with Sub I believe (all of our desk phone models do).  Only on the 7925 models do some register with the Pub.

Not all 7925s register with Pub, just approximately 30%-40%.  Number fluxuates.

Spent 6 hours on the phone with TAC.  No luck.  Any suggestions?

3 Replies 3

slashdots
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Jeff

I would check the following
- Are the 30% - 40% in another Device Pool as the others?
--If yes check the CUCM Group configured in this Device Pool
If the same phones sometimes register on the sub, and sometimes on the pub. You may want to check if they acctually cannot reach the sub and therfore fallback to the pub. Since only Wifi Phones are affected by this behavior I would check the wifi setup.
An important step is to try to group the phones even more.
Maybe there are phone which are never affected by this. If you find such a phone you can try to compare a  affected  phone with a “healthy” one.

cheers
slashdots

Sreekanth Narayanan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Jeff,

Since you have been on call with TAC for 6 hours, a lot must have been done, but still, will need more details:

1. In the packet captures taken from the phones, what is seen? Are they seen to contact sub on tcp port 2000 and fail, then reach out to pub?

2. What about the configuration files for those phones which have the issue? Do they show the right order of the call managers?

3. What is the topology between the phones and CUCM?

4. Is there something common between the phones that have the issue? Are they all located at one site?

I once had a customer where the issue was that RTP packets were not sent by the 7925 phones toward one site. The issue was found on the WLC.

Hi Sreekanth.

We worked with TAC some more yesterday and they were (finally) able to capture packets and logs for a phone that registers with the Pub.  Wasn't easy to duplicate since the issue is very sporadic.  They are reviewing the logs now so I hope to hear something back soon.  To answer your questions:

1. In the packet captures taken from the phones, what is seen? Are they seen to contact sub on tcp port 2000 and fail, then reach out to pub?  TAC reviewing now.

2. What about the configuration files for those phones which have the issue? Do they show the right order of the call managers?  When phones register to the Pub, sometimes they show the Sub as a second choice and sometimes they don't (just shows the Pub as the only choice).

3. What is the topology between the phones and CUCM?  All sites and locations are in one big MAN.  The Pub, Sub, and WLAN are all on different VLANS.

4. Is there something common between the phones that have the issue? Are they all located at one site?  There is at least some logic to this.  The only phones that are having problems are 7925s only that are on our main hospital campus, and also being served from the same wireless controller.  We have 7925s at other sites served by different wireless controllers (also different VLAN) and they are not having the problem.  But I am not the Wireless Network SME so that is all I can add on that subject.

Also - we migrated all of our DHCP and DNS onto InfoBlox last week and we believe that may coincide with the beginning of the problems, but it is hard to pin down.

More to come I'm sure.  Thanks.