cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

7931G does not support multiple calls per line?

mcibanez
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I'm a bit confused...

I've been testing a 7931 IP phone with CM v6.1.3.1000-16

I guess I had the typical problem ("Error Pass Limit") so looking at the posts I found a useful one written by Jaime Valencia explaining why I couldn't transfer or conference... The 7931 was designed to support only 1 call per line.

But then, looking at the referred documentation I can see that:

- 7931G does not support multiple calls per line, you must configure the Directory Number settings appropriately for each line using Cisco Unified Communications Manager Administration:

Maximum Number of Calls—set to 1

Busy Trigger—set to 1

- If your organization requires these or other CTI applications, you should set the Maximum Number of Calls setting to 2 (rather than the recommended 1). You should also set the Outbound Call Rollover to No Rollover.

So I tested changing the Max nr of calls to 2 and I think that I can make transfers/conferences without having to configure more than one line in the phone.

My question (and my confusion) is:

Am I missing anything? That is, am I thinking that configuring 2 calls per line everything works fine but it is not?

And if I can configure it and everything works fine with 2 calls per line, what does it mean that '7931G does not support multiple calls per line'?

Is about TAC support or what?

Thanks in advance,

Carmen

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Carmen,

You are on the right track my friend

What this really means is that the 7931 cannot handle multiple

"Incoming" calls per line because of the inabilty to scroll between

the two calls. This is why the Busy Trigger is set @ 1. But the Max

Calls can be set @ 2 to allow for transfer etc.

Here is a clip from a Cisco Product Manager (Conrad)

This is actually a restriction on the 7931

Conrad is a product manager in Cisco IP Communications. He is responsible for many aspects of the phone user interface for the Cisco Unified IP Phone 7970G, 7971G, and 7931G models.

The 7931G was developed for the key system market, common in the retail and commercial space. It was developed in conjunction with the CUCME product team, and many of the features were implemented with a key system in mind.

A single call per line/button is the intended operation, with transfer and conference taking place across lines/buttons.

We wanted to have a large number of line keys, in a small form factor, for retail environments. In this environments, people tend not be so interested in voicemail, directory, and settings, or a large display screen. There is more interest in having a simple User Interface, with a line key light up when the call comes in, and very clear options to hold, transfer, or redial a call.

The phone required some changes to CUCM, and CUCM 6.0 is the first version to support the 7931G. The recommended configuration is to set any DN to have a max-calls of two, and busy-trigger 1, to operate in a key system style of operation.

From this Ask the Expert Event;

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Unified Communications and Video&topic=IP Telephony&CommCmd=MB?cmd=display_location&location=.1ddead63

If you need multiple calls on a single DN try this method

This document shows how to use Partitions and Calling Search Spaces to configure multiple lines on one phone with the same DN. It is assumed that the user wants all incoming calls to start on line 1 and forward to subsequent lines if line 1 is busy.

Configuring a Single Dialed Number on Multiple Lines

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_tech_note09186a008009409c.shtml

Hope this helps!

Rob

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Carmen,

You are on the right track my friend

What this really means is that the 7931 cannot handle multiple

"Incoming" calls per line because of the inabilty to scroll between

the two calls. This is why the Busy Trigger is set @ 1. But the Max

Calls can be set @ 2 to allow for transfer etc.

Here is a clip from a Cisco Product Manager (Conrad)

This is actually a restriction on the 7931

Conrad is a product manager in Cisco IP Communications. He is responsible for many aspects of the phone user interface for the Cisco Unified IP Phone 7970G, 7971G, and 7931G models.

The 7931G was developed for the key system market, common in the retail and commercial space. It was developed in conjunction with the CUCME product team, and many of the features were implemented with a key system in mind.

A single call per line/button is the intended operation, with transfer and conference taking place across lines/buttons.

We wanted to have a large number of line keys, in a small form factor, for retail environments. In this environments, people tend not be so interested in voicemail, directory, and settings, or a large display screen. There is more interest in having a simple User Interface, with a line key light up when the call comes in, and very clear options to hold, transfer, or redial a call.

The phone required some changes to CUCM, and CUCM 6.0 is the first version to support the 7931G. The recommended configuration is to set any DN to have a max-calls of two, and busy-trigger 1, to operate in a key system style of operation.

From this Ask the Expert Event;

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Unified Communications and Video&topic=IP Telephony&CommCmd=MB?cmd=display_location&location=.1ddead63

If you need multiple calls on a single DN try this method

This document shows how to use Partitions and Calling Search Spaces to configure multiple lines on one phone with the same DN. It is assumed that the user wants all incoming calls to start on line 1 and forward to subsequent lines if line 1 is busy.

Configuring a Single Dialed Number on Multiple Lines

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_tech_note09186a008009409c.shtml

Hope this helps!

Rob

Many thanks, Rob!

Now I fully understand how it works.

Best regards,

Carmen

Hi Carmen,

You are always welcome my friend

Cheers!

Rob

PS: Carmen is my wife's name as well!