cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

7940 IP Phone not working across VPN with 861 but works with ASA5505.

Mike Bowers
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I've been trying to get a basic set up working with the 861w where this is being set up at my home with a 7940 IP phone hooked into it to go across an EZVPN tunnel to connect to my office's uc560.

Now, I have an ASA5505 which works fine, but I'm not sure what differences or tweaks I need to make to get it to work on the 861.

I've attached my 861 configuration.  When plugged in, the IP Phone tries to configure the VLAN and CM List. It just appears to get stuck and starts over.  If I hook up my 5505 instead, it connects and works just fine.

Any help would be appreciated!

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi.
Where are you terminating your vpn with the cisco 800 router?

Let me know

Regards

Carlo

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Please rate all helpful posts "The more you help the more you learn"

View solution in original post

Can you ping your uc560 at all, through the VPN on the 861?

=============================
Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below. 

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Mike Bowers
Level 1
Level 1

Anyone have an idea? Should I try this in a different forum? I hope I picked the right forum.

Can you ping your uc560 at all, through the VPN on the 861?

Hi.
Where are you terminating your vpn with the cisco 800 router?

Let me know

Regards

Carlo

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Please rate all helpful posts "The more you help the more you learn"

Minkdennis.

THanks for that comment! I could not ping it, even though I could ping every other device on the network. I'm not sure why I could ping the phone system with my ASA, but I couldn't ping the phone system using the 861 while I was able to ping other things across the tunnel.

I found that changing the EZVPN to client-mode instead of network extension mode allowed me to ping the phone system. Now my phone pulls the load and registers, I get a dial tone, but after I dial the number, I hear silence. The phone(my cell phone) on the other end receives the call and rings, but it's just dead silence on both ends when I pick up. I'm not sure what's going on here? 

Carlo, I'm terminating the VPN into a 1800 Router at the other end, with a UC560 phone system on the inside.

Thanks guys

I figured it out. I had another issue where I couldn't SSH from the outside and I was beating my head against the wall wondering what was going on.

I updated to the latest IOS on cisco.com (c860-universalk9-mz.154-1.T1.bin) and now miraculously I can SSH and calls complete and I can now hear the ringing and the other side's voice when they pick up.

Thanks guys.

I'll give mink points since he started me off on the right path.

Hello!

I think I spoke too soon. I can get calls to initiate and I can hear the other end and complete the calls, but I notice some pings drop when I'm trying to ping the phone system on the other end, and when I try to complete a call, it doesn't hang up when I hang the receiver up. I also see this in the 861w:

Feb 26 06:18:48.823: %FW-4-TCP_OoO_SEG: Deleting session as expected TCP segment with seq:4016134121 has not arrived even after 25 seconds - session 192.168.88.16:51758 to 192.168.248.1:2000

That always occurs after attempting to make a call, which a lot of times goes through, but then hangs and dies.  The missing pings may be the issue, but why when I plug my ASA 5505 in, the calls and everything works perfectly? Do I need quality of service policies or changes to the inspect rules of the 861w?

I have to think it is the 861w configuration since the 5505 works like a charm from my end.