Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7940 stuck at "Configuring IP" on Catalyst 3548XL

Hello - I am trying to connect a 7940 IP Phone to my network on a Catalyst 3548 running IOS 12.0.5(16) with the correct "switchport access vlan xxx" and "switch voice vlan xx" commands on the interface, but the phone remains stuck at "Configuring IP". I verified that the dhcp server for that vlan is up and pingable from that VLAN, but the phone just does not want to get an IP. If I connect the phone to a port on my 4507R running IOS 12.2, it registers immediately and gets an IP address. Any thoughts?

5 REPLIES
Green

Re: 7940 stuck at "Configuring IP" on Catalyst 3548XL

Using DHCP?

If you try Static IP address?

Under Network setting verify VLAN acquired during boot up is correct.

Make sure you can ping from that switch to Cisco CallManager.

I have the same issue but we dont use dhcp. The ip is configured statically. Unable to enter the config mode also when its stuck on "configuring ip."

Gold

What is the phoneload being used for 7940 IP Phones ?? Also, for the phones which have an static IP Address configured, can you try to ping the phones ?? Confirm that IP Connectivity between the CM and IP Phone is working fine.

We are having the same issue. What is strange when running "sh vlan" the port in question is only listed a being a member of the access VLAN. On all our other switches (4500s, 3550s, 6500s) the port is also listed a being a member of the voice VLAN, so it is listed twice. It's almost as though the switch is ignoring the voice VLAN config.

When we set the access VLAN as the VLAN designated for our voice traffic and remove the "switchport voice vlan XX" config the phone works as expected. However this is not the desired config as a PC connected to the switchport on the phone will also be on the VLAN designated for voice traffic.

vsehgal,

I have seen this issue many times. Force the phones into the voice vlan (switch access vlan "voicevlan"). It will update the firmware and the problem will go away. For some weird reason, I've seen this problem do a couple of things, either it finally registers with CM after about an hour or it doesn't do it at all. I had a whole site of phones that had this issue. If you force the phones into the voice VLAN it should resolve your issue.

-Shikamaru

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content