cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

7941G not configuring IP address (and other problems)

newportri
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 7941G, but I am having a hard to configuring it.  When I first plugged it it, I was able to get an IP address and go through some differnt options.  I was also able to log into the phone from a web browser and see the different settings.  The phone was also set so that I should be able to configure the phone from the web.  However, I was not able to make any changes to any settings on the phone and it looked like some of the configuration menus were locked.  In the web browser I did not see any admin login either so I wasn't able to enter my SIP settings.  There was a message displaying on the screen saying "configuring IP", but it never did anything.  I then decided to reset the phone to the factory settings although I hadn't made any changes, but it was just to make sure I was back to normal.  I followed the procedure by rebooting the phone and entering 123456789*0#.  However, now the two "line" button keep blinking green and the headphone light stays on.  The screen switches between blank and "Cisco Cystems"  I am not able to get into any settings on the phone and I don't see it online either.  I have heard there are some issues with the phone not finding the DHCP after a reset and that yoou need to install firmware, but since I can't even see the phone online I don't even know how I can do a firmware update.

Any suggestions on what to do?

Thanks

11 Replies 11

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you plan to use the phone with a third party platform, that is not the rigth forum, try voip-info.org

I am just trying to get into the settings and have not decided whether I will use a third party or not.  Right now I cannot do anything with the phone.

Actually I meant to suggest you research on ow a Cisco phone actually boots and configures, that may be very different from what you expect.

Anyway, if no IP option 150 is present in DHCP offer, phone will not take the address.

I don't know much about SCCP (I guess I could find out at work since we use them there), but I would probably start out with SIP since I have some experience with it and have been using the Linksys SPA 3102 for a few years.

Wouldn't the 150 error only apply if you are using a call manager?  Shouldn't you still be able to use the phone with SIP since it supports both?  

I think the reason I wasn't able to make any changes the first time was that it couldn't get a tftp server connection since I didn't have one set up.  I thought that I would still be able to configure the phone in SIP mode, but from what I now understand you need firmware changes to do this (using tftp).  If I could get back to where I started I might be able to get somewhere, but since I can't get anywhere in the phone now I feel like I am helpless.  Is there no way of getting the phone back to factory settings?  I thought that was what I did when I did a reset, but it doesn't look like that is the case.  ANy help would be appreciated.

Let's start from the beginning ...

Can your phone get a valid IP address?

No, I can not get a valid IP address.  The two line buttons just keeps blinking green and the headset green light is on and the Cisco boot screen shows.  After a couple of minutes of this, the headset light turns off and the Speaker light comes on  and the screen goes dark.  After a few minutes it is back to the other screen again. I have tried a factory reset (123456789*0#), but it doesn't look like it works since I get the same result.

Please note what I said has nothing to do with SCCP.

As mentioned, these phone work very differently from the SPA phones.

There are many identicaly thread as you, please use the search function.

I have searched quite a bit on this, but I have not seen a solution to my problem.  I know there are other similar (not identical) issues where the problem was tftp of dhcp, but this is different since the phone doesn't respond to anything and does not go online and I can't even enter any of the settings.  If you can point me to a thread where someone has a solution to this I would appreciate it.

Thanks

That is exactly the matter discussed  at length in many other threads with the appropriate solution: proper DHCP settings.

OK, I will get a tftp server set up even though I will probably use it just as a SIP phone to start out with since it seems like I need it to get my phone online again.

Thanks for your help.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: