Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Community Member

7942/CUE - Extensions don't properly change

FIrst post, yay.  I haven't had a huge exposure to Cisco Voip at this point, so I'm fairly new.  The web GUI is very straightforward, verison 8.5.1 of Cisco Unity Express.

I had an IP phone have some... "choppy" audio issues, so after typical network troubleshooting and swapping, I determined replacing the unit would fix the issue (and that it wasn't network related).

I grabbed a different 7942 from one of our conference rooms, and swapped them (conference phone into attorney's office, and vice versa).  I then went into the CUE portal to edit the users and swap their extensions/devices.

I opened the Attorney's profile, changed the associated device to the MAC of his new phone (the one from the conference room).  I then selected "Other" under primary extension, and entered in his normal extension, "103".  I assumed this would associate extension 103 with the new device I had just selected.  I clicked Apply changes, waited a minute or two, tried his extension, and it's still ringing to his old phone.  Both handsets still show their OLD extension despite changing association in user settings.  I don't see ANY device settigns in the CUE gateway.  I rebooted the devices, I reset the firmware on them as well, thinking they would pull configuration from the CUE, nope.  Based on these results, I am assuming these devices are receiving their configuration from a server-side somewhere, and that I need to re-associate the extensions based on MAC addresses, I just have no idea where to start and look.

Chances are I'm simply doing something completely wrong being new to Cisco VoiP, but I need to change the extension of each device individually, and I think that's all, the rest should fall in place pretty easily.

Any thoughts or advice??  Thanks!!

Everyone's tags (4)
5 REPLIES
Community Member

Bump.  No thoughts?

Community Member

if i understand this correctly, you have changed user profile and associate different device with it, but you haven't changed extension on actual phone...

go to phone configuration, find your two phones, then swap their DNs(device->phones... find... click on name of the phone you want to change... in top left corner change line number)

Community Member

Yes, I would have guessed there would be a phone configuration area, specifically for devices (phones).  I don't see this in the CUE.  See attached s/s, where would I be looking?

I simply cannot, for the life of me, find where this would be located, to change these settings...

Community Member

ups, my apologies... for some reason, i was thinking about cucm... im really not sure how they set it up in cue in cucm you are assigning your phone MAC address with DN, then assign user to that same phone, so if you change user associate with the phone, actual phone would still have same DN, just different user...

and looking at what you have described, it looks like they were using same method in cue, I'm just not familiar with whole system maybe is you click on CUCME, you'll get something similar to this?

http://saifulaziz.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/cucm601a.jpg

Community Member

Nope.  That's the freakin' paradox.  I heard something from someone who I work with about how the previous guy had to putty in to the devices themselves to change their extensions... but I can't get the information I need anywhere, and he's not accessible.  If he SSH'd, what was the login info used? specific XML data needed to be edited?  Seems stupid that I would have to jump through those kinds of hoops just to change a single device's extension!!

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content