Views
Helpful
Replies

7960 can't register in CME using SIP

steven_chan
Level 1
Level 1

The phone is in different subnet from the CME

I have tried different combinations of (as I don't know the exact reason for the commands)

authenticate register

authenticate realm

IOS 20T

CME 7.0(0)

phone firmware P003-08-6-00

Thanks in advance

6 Replies 6

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi, before looking at the traces, have you considered using SCCP? That will give you more features and less troubles.

Hi Steven,

The phone should be downloading a configuration file that downloads the password. You shouldn't have to configure anything in the phone, nor any of the authenticate register/realm commands.

Put the password on the phone like you have it, and 'debug tftp events' and make sure the phone is getting the correct file.

-nick

Paolo,

I do see messages in the forum that you are suggesting SCCP for CME. I think everyone has a reason for the move and mine is "v3"

Nick,

I see the phone is keep trying to get the config file SIPmacaddress.cnf and can download the file correctly. I verify it by removing the DN on the phone.

Hi Steven,

If you remove all of the extra authentication commands under sip-ua and what have you, and just use the basic commands, this should register. If you're wanting to add other functionality, I would add it on slowly after getting basic things to work first.

Basic requirements:

-voice service voip

sip

registrar server

-phone must download configuration file (Cisco phones)

-if the phone is on a different subnet than the CME source address, it must authenticate with a password

-if you have a SIP bind command, you must have the same source address in CME

-the phone should try to register, get a 401, and send another register with authentication. We should then 200 OK that REGISTER message

-the phone will need the 'type' command and 'id mac' in order to download the configuration file

Hopefully something there is helpful.

-nick

Steven, what do you mean with "v3' ?

I think he was referring to CCIE VOICE lab v3, which has SIP endpoints on the map.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: