cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

7960 IP Phone: Tones don't work with teleconferencing systems?

BassMan99
Level 1
Level 1

I've had two cases now where the 7960 does not properly transmit the "tones" when I type-in a password/code for a teleconference.  Are there any phone settings to improve this?

For example, I'll dial an 800 teleconferencing system (like ReadyComm).  It prompts me to enter the code (I do, and press #), it says "verifying", but the code is not recognized.  This happened on another teleconferencing system too.

I called customer service at ReadyComm - they said this is common with IP phones, but could offer any specific hints for my manufacturer/model.

Any reason for hope?

Note: I checked the phone's manual - "no joy".

8 Replies 8

asandborgh
Level 4
Level 4

Phil,

I have seen similar issues in the past, and in my cases it was NOT the phone - it has to do with DTMF relay, the PSTN gateway involved, and additionally how the teleconference service IVR answers the call.  In some cases they do not send the "connected" ISDN message  back until they receive the digits (normally the dial-in code) and actually connect you to a bridge.  The voice gateway will not perform voice cut through until it gets a connect, so it does not play out the digits.  As I recall (it's been a couple years)  the way we corrected was by unchecking the "wait for far end H245 capability set" and perhaps configuring fast-start on our gateway.

Good luck!

Art

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If you call some other system that also has an IVR and asks for info, does the same happen??

This would definitely tell you if there is something wrong in your system or if the problem really is with the teleconferencing guys and their DTMF relay settings.

HTH

java

If this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Sorry; I don't even know what an IVR system is.  I'm a "programmer" by education, and these days, a "paper-pusher" (architecture and project management).

I don't know much about telephony...

Simpy put an IVR is a system that takes your call and pre-recorded messages asks you for info or to choose options.

IE: If i call my bank they'll ask for my card number, my pwd and then start giving me options. press 1 for balance, 2 for payments, etc

You might as well try 1 800 GO CISCO, that's an IVR. =)

Press 1, if it tells you you're being routed to the old menu, then the DTMF went all the way from your phone to Cisco and received correctly.

If you instead end up with a live representative then maybe there are DTMF issues.

HTH

java

If this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

I'll have to try the IVR in a couple of days.  I'm on a 2-day teleconference, and if I get disconnected, I have to have ReadyComm customer service patch me in again.

In the meantime, I'm trying to find-out the contact information for the internal telephony people here...

Thanks!

An IVR - AKA menu system front end - dial one for sales, dial two for servic

e, or in this case "Please input your code".  Since many conference services provide 800 numbers (and are charged by the carriers for minutes) they delay sending out the "connect" until they attach the caller to an actual bridge, so the clock does not start.

Quite frankly you need to get your companies IPT guy in on this one, since it is likely happening to other folks and with the way the world works will only happen more often.

...a little more info on the outside chance anyone else has anything to add.

I tried an IVR system (Dell), and the tones work fine.  I was also able to enter a pass-code on another teleconferencing system I frequently use.  The pass-code still fails on one teleconferencing system ("ReadyComm"), though.

Other people outside my organization had no problem calling-in to the service that my phone will not work with (ReadyComm).

Phil,

I know you're not an IPT guy, but this is what I would do now if I were your IPT guy -

set up a debug isdn q931 on the outbound gateway ( assuming you have a PRI and making sure that both of the following calls went out the same PRI)

dial the Dell IVR and capture the output

dial the ReadyComm and capture the output - paying special attention to the "connect" message timing

If they happen to be the same then I would go onto other debugs - but I bet you will find it here.  I spent about a week troubleshooting this exact issue about two years ago and it is etched in my mind.  I too had the same issues - most IVRs would work, but not a conference service that my client sent thousands of calls a month to.

In order to fix it I had to tell the gateway not to wait for far end confirmation of capabilities, and that fixed it.

HTH,

Art