Views
Helpful
Replies

7960G handset issues

thegrave2000
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I'm trying to integrate a 7960G with Asterisk and all works fine except a few strange issues with the phone itself. Here is the list:

1) When I start entering digits on-hook they are not coming up on the display. I always have to press the New Call or the Speaker button first.

2) When I go off-hook I cannot hear a dial tone in the handset. No indication on the display I'm off-hook either.

3) When I press the HEADset key I hear a dial tone in the HANDset

I checked the connection - the handset is connected to the handset port, not to the headset port. I cleaned it cause I thought it's not making good contact. When I connect the handset to the headset port I got no dialtone no matter what I do (I probably shouldn't be testing this as there is a built-in amplifier for this port).

Otherwise all SIP and RTP traffic flows correctly and I'm placing calls without any issues. Firmware version is P0S3-08-9-00. I'm attaching the .cnf file.

Any ideas?

4 Replies 4

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

For issue 2, you may have take apart the phone to clean or replace the hook switch.

For the rest, there is no much support here for non-cisco call control, try voip-info.org

You didn't get point 2 - the headset is working fine but it's working in a strange manner - I can hear a dialtone in the handset only when I press the headset button.

Is this how the SIP firmware for CCM behaves? I don't think it will be much of an issue if I convert the image from non-CCM SIP to CCM SIP.

I'm positive that's not how the Skinny firmware behaves (if it's a firmware-related issue at all).

P.S. I did convert to the CCM SIP firmware and found no difference. Seems I'll have to go for SCCP

thegrave2000
Level 1
Level 1

Kinda narrowed it down - the other side can hear me only when I literally scream in the handset. Seems like most of the sound is looped back locally and I can hear it in the handset itself. Impedance issue maybe?

Or more simply, faulty phone or handset ?

But please forgive me if don't get the point