cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

7961 phone stuck with the speaker light on

jfaaborg
Level 1
Level 1

help!  I have a 7961 that powers up (flashes all lights) then squences the headset,mute, and power then a green light stays on the power. I have tried holding down the "#" key for a few minutes but still nothing happens past the three lights squencing. I connected the phone directly to my laptop running wireshark and there is no activity on the wire. I also tried my phone console cable and I am getting nothing.

16 Replies 16

Glenn Matthys
Level 1
Level 1

Make sure you have the firmware for your phone ready with a correctly configured TFTP and DHCP server. Then:

* When the phone boots, before the speaker light goes on, hold the # key, keep holding until you see the line lights sequence (this takes a while before it happens)
* Once the lights have sequenced, key in the following:
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 * 0 #

This will factory reset the unit and the first thing it's going to try is download new firmware. You can monitor its progress using wireshark. It could be possible you don't see anything on the screen. Use the same version of firmware the unit was already running on.

It never gets to the point where the lines blink in squence to do a factory default. Also ran a wire shark and there is nothing on the port.

any update? i now have 2 phones like this...

Nothing yet, I think they are just bricked.

I had one today that was fine.. unpluged it and replaced it with another phone.. its green light turned on.. so i was like DAMN so i put the other phone back and then its green light turned on.. thats 3 phones now...

I had that day before... sucks to see a phone/s do that

Dragan Ilic
Level 4
Level 4

If it's completelly stuck you can try with this option which always works for me:

http://draganchilly.blogspot.com/2014/02/cisco-ip-phone-recovery-procedure.html

HTH,
Dragan

HTH,
Dragan

Tried that. the phone will not go past the point of the speaker light. I've held down the # for minutes when powering on and it still just sits at the point where the speaker light is just on. 

Have you tried the sequence with started tftp32 software as I said in blog, besides everything? just to see if phone tries to load firmware or anything?

From tftpd32 log panel you can see if it's talking anything...

HTH,
Dragan

HTH,
Dragan

Ya, I tried it and never saw anything in the TFTP or DHCP log.

Well,

I can't be 100% sure but I think you should replace that phone

HTH,
Dragan

HTH,
Dragan

Looks like it is dead, but I'm hoping to find a fix. It is only a small amount of my 40,000 phones but I would like to try. Someone from Cisco hopefully has the answer!

Did you find an answer for this?  I had the same problem with a 7965g today.  It happened after it was powered off and back on.  It never booted back up.

jcher74
Level 1
Level 1

I had the same issue but with a 7962.  I found a Field Notice for this issue (although it does not include 7961 model).

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/field-notices/637/fn63772.html

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: