cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

7961G "hang up" problem

Kelly Dodd
Level 1
Level 1

When dialing out, mostly on-hook but sometimes off-hook as well, the phone will "hang up", or terminate the call immediately after dialing. For example:

I dial the number, then press the dial button. The display shows dialing and the phone goes off hook, dials, then immediately goes back on-hook, or hangs up. I press re-dial and the same thing happens.

This can happen no matter how I dial. I can press the speaker button first, or lift the handset, but the outcome is the same... the phone terminates the call and goes back to the on-hook condition.

This problem is being experienced by several users in various locations around our campus. It seems to be limited to the newer 7961G models. We have 7940/7960 in place that appear to be unaffected.

Running Call Manager v 4.0.2a, Unity v 4.0.5, both run on W2K.

3 Replies 3

AJAZ NAWAZ
Level 5
Level 5

Sounds most definitely like firmware issue with the 7961G. Is there anyway you can upgrade one of them to the latest code available?

Ajaz

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Kelly,

Like Ajaz nicely noted, this is almost surely a Firmware issue. This bug (below) manifested itself in exactly the same way you have experienced for our 3rd generation phones. 7941's and 7961's both had this type of random problem until the 8.2.x Firmware. The bug lists the problem as Answering calls only, but as I say we also had the same Dialing then "hang up" issues;

Looks like this Firmware bug continues to plague IP Phones;

Release Notes

Symptom:

Rarely a 7900 IP phone will get into a state where the speaker, headset, handset, or line buttons will not work to take the phone offhook. In this state the only way to go offhook will be to use the softkeys.

Conditions:

This has been seen in various Skinny phone loads up to and including 7.0(2)SR1. It is not dependant on CallManager version.

Workaround:

A simple IP phone reset will recover the phone.

Further Problem Description:

The root cause of this issue is not known at this time.

This problem will be further addressed in the 8.0 Skinny loads by adding more debugging to the IP phone console. If you suspect you have an IP phone in this state running an 8.0 load please do not reset the phone and contact TAC immediately.

CSCsc99161

Phone does not go offhook except via softkey.

http://www.cisco.com/pcgi-bin/Support/Bugtool/onebug.pl?bugid=CSCsc99161

Hope this helps!

Rob

Thanks Ajaz and Rob, I will try that.