Views
Helpful
Replies

7965 flashes screen and hangs on green light on boot

andrew.hulley
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I've googled but not been able to find anyone else having this problem. We have about six 7965 phones that won't boot up. When I plug them in the screen flashes white briefly and the headphone light comes on for a fraction of a second before the green speaker light comes on and hangs there with the screen completely blank. I've tried both holding hash to try and flash a new firmware and booting with the phone off the hook to boot a backup image but nothing works; I just get the same result.

Can anyone tell me what this indicates? These phones are all out of support now and no one seems to mind if we just chuck them but it would at least be nice to know if I can take a couple home, fix them myself, and add them to the lab.

Cheers for any help.

6 Replies 6

Hi Andrew.

Verify that your IP Phones are receiving the ip address and option 150 (TFT) correctly.

As option you can use a tftp server such as tftpd32 to pass an image to 7965 and also check logs in case of failure.

HTH

Regards

Carlo

Please rate all helpful posts "The more you help the more you learn"

Thanks for the reply Carlo. I'm not too sure how to check that stuff but we have about 300 phones, all of which are working correctly. We've also set up some new phones lately which needed the firmware changing on them and these have all worked correctly as well as a few rebuilds I had to perform by using the thing where you hold the hash button down. I expect this would confirm that the DHCP and TFTP are working correctly, would it not? I've been doing all of this from exactly the same switch port.

Hi Andrew.

This behaviour could lead us to a firmware compatibility issue...

Can you try through TFTP32 to load an earlier version such as 9.3(1)  and see if it makes any difference?

Please let me know

Regards

Carlo

Please rate all helpful posts "The more you help the more you learn"

I have had two 7965's this morning do the same thing.  I tried to do a factory reset with no luck.  Personally I don't think it is a firmware issue as we have many other 7965's working fine.  Potentially the firmware on the individual phone has become corrupted, that is why I tried to do a factory reset.  Disconnect phone, then reconnect it and hold down the # key with no luck.  Speaker indicator stays lit and the screen is blank.  I have encountered several issues with the 7965 model phone that appears to be hardware related.  Just wanted to throw out what I have been seeing.  If anybody has a resolution to this issue, I would love to hear it.

Hi, I try to solve exactly the same problem. I am sure the phone does not sent DHCP request. I have 5 phones with the same problem. I do not believe all are broken...

Chakshu Piplani
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/field-notices/637/fn63772.html

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: