Views
Helpful
Replies

7970 Blinking lights, but that's all

izhiltsov
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys

The similar question is posted in another thread, but it is still unanswered. I have the same problem here

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/1181435?tstart=0

I work out of a Help Desk that supports about 40 VOIPs. I've just found five bad 7970 phones on a shelf. (I think the goal was for them to heal themselves.) (But they never got the memo.)

What's odd is that all five phones have the same symptoms:

After plugging them in:

Speaker light at bottom right goes green.

Soon, top two buttons at upper right flash amber in sequence from top to bottom, then continue down in sequence, but change to green.

During above sequence, speaker light goes off and headset light turns green.

Lights at right continue to flash in sequence from top to bottom, always green.

The display never illuminates.

It seems unlikely that we have five phones afflicted by a similar manufacturing defect, so think the problem is caused by, and fixable through, software or configuration.

I've looked through all the forum posts going back to 2007, but found nothing.

Hope someone has some insight on this, and thanks for your interest.

+++++++

And I have the same problem with 2 Cisco phones. I've tried the hard reset, but it doesn't help. According to the logs, the phones take the first file of the firmware from the UC540 unit, start loading it, but for some reason reload again. This circle goes on and on endlessly while the phones are connected.

Initially the phones were absolutely new and were working fine. However they had an old firmware and we tried to do a hard reset to install a new firmware. After that both phone started doing the same way as it was described here and I cannot get them out of this contastant reloading circle.

Is there a way to fix the phones? Is there a service who can do it in the SF Bay Area (they are out of warranty already).

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Give them an older firmware version, even going back to 5.x or 6.x if necessary.

The alternative is that the FW files you are using are corrupt.

View solution in original post

brendand05
Level 1
Level 1

Downgrade the phones firmwaer

Once working you can upgrade again

Seems to happen a lot on 7970 / 7971

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Strange you have not found anything? The phones are just looking for term70.default.loads, and will start working again as soon the correct firmware is made available via TFTP. You may also need to performa an hardware reset sequence.

This has been discussed so many times here.

izhiltsov
Level 1
Level 1

I've done hardware reset many times and it doesn't help at all. They download the file term70.default.loads, restart and next they are supposed to download another 7 files, but they don't do that. Instead after restarting they downlaod term70.default.loads again.

Give them an older firmware version, even going back to 5.x or 6.x if necessary.

The alternative is that the FW files you are using are corrupt.

brendand05
Level 1
Level 1

Downgrade the phones firmwaer

Once working you can upgrade again

Seems to happen a lot on 7970 / 7971

izhiltsov
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks guys, it works

Thank you for the nice rating and good luck!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: