cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

7970 Firmware Upgrade Problem.

utanamal1
Level 1
Level 1

I had to reset this 7970 phone and reload the firmware using TFTP server on the notebook and the phone start working again when connected to the network. The problem is; the only firmware that I can loaded to this phone is the old firmware (8.0)  and always fail when it try to upgrade to the current firmware that is in UC (9.1). I tried to upgrade using the TFTP server again on the notebook but never work. Any advise?

Thank you.

7 Replies 7

Manish Gogna
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

You need an intermediate firmware like 8-5-2S before upgrading to a 9.x version. As you are on an 8.0 version so even getting to 8-5-2S may require another intermediate version like 8.3. So, it will be a two or three step upgrade to 9.x firmware.

HTH

Manish

Hi,

In addition to Manish tip (+5) below is the link for your reference.

Firmware Upgrade Issues for SCCP

Note

For all SCCP firmware upgrades from firmware release versions earlier than 8.3(3) to Version 9.2(3) or

later, you must first upgrade your firmware to an intermediate Version (8.3(3) to 8.5(2)) and then upgrade

to 9.2(3).

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cuipph/firmware/9_2_1/english/release/notes/7900_921.html#wp42493

Regards,

Nishant Savalia

Regards, Nishant Savalia

Always good to have some documemtation backing up your steps ( +5 ).

Manish

Manish,

Thank you for the suggestion. I have not been able to upgrade to any firmware higher than 8.0, I tried 8.2, 8.3, 8.5, so far no luck.

I used tftpd32 ver 4.

Tanamal

Hi Tanamal,

Is the phone registered with CUCM or CME? Are there other 7970's that are running a higher load?

Manish

After loading firmware 8.0, I can connect the phone UC 500 and I can see it from UCME. This is the only 7970 phone on the network.

Tanamal

Resolved. Added SEP(Mac Address).cnf.xml

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: