cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

79xx series problems ... Settings Button not letting me in settings

Sn0wbl1nd
Level 1
Level 1

i have some 79xx series V0IP phones that are acting VERY strange ... if you are familiar with these series phones once plug them into the PoE switch they look for a TFTP server with the call manager files to aquire all the info they need to work .... i have them set up on a 2620xm router running IOS c2600-ipvoicek9-mz.124-15.T14 along with call manger 4.3. My router is my TFTP server and i have hooked up and fixed over 50 of the same series phones with out a problem.

Now here is my issue ... when you goto press the SETTINGS button on the phone you are allowed to go into the settings of the phone to change all the ROUTER,TFTP,ETC info to allow you to connect your phone to the CALL MANAGER or you can set up DHCP and it will aquire the info automaticly. When i press the SETTINGS button nothing happens .... i can reset the phone to factory defaults by holding the # button then 12345678*0# then 2 not saving the info and i can hit the retart buttons which is * 6 SETTINGS buttons together and that will let me restart the phone but i cannot manualy set up this phone to do anything .. it will not aquire info form my DHCP server and will not find my TFTP server at all =( the phone SETTINGS BUTTON does not respond at all ..only when restarting the phone.

Hoping someone on here has some EXP with this problem and could point me in the right direction in getting them unbricked cause right now they are very expensive paper wieghts.

TIA for any all help =)

16 Replies 16

Tracy Larson
Level 4
Level 4

On the phone make sure this is enabled

this is enabled in Call Manager, i can configure all my other phones but i have no way to get  into the phone to change anything =( except factory default and reset phone

these phones were purchased from eBAY ... we got 20 of them ... 7 of them do this ... 3 7940's and 4 7960's ... i can confgure the other 13 phones just fine.

have you tried upgrading or downgrading the firmware in them?

cant get them to communicate with DHCP server or TFTP server ... they just timeout with TFTP FILE NOT FOUND .... checked the DHCP server log and its like the phone cant communicate with the server and i cant change the server settings in the phone to tell it where to go cause the SETTINGS button doesnt work ..ugg ... so frustrating lol ... im afraid they are bricked

how could i force feed them a new firmware if i cant tell it where to get the info from? is that even possible ?

To change any settings on the phone you first need to unlock it, by pressing Settings button and then **# dequence.

HTH,

Chris

Thanks Chris but im very aware of how to unlock the phone i have fixed over 50 of them so far =) ...my problem is the SETTINGS BUTTON does nothing when i press it ... the only time i can use the settings button is when i was to reset the phone without unpluging it by pressing *+6+SETTINGS ... and the phone will restart and i still cant get into SETTINGS to change anything =(

do you see anything in the arp table of the switch the phones are plugged into? do they have an ip address? If so you can push tftp files to them.

Mike

' My router is my TFTP server' - why is a router your TFTP server if you are configuring 'settings access' on a CallManager as indicated in Tracy's post?

Your CUCM server should be your TFTP server - if it's not then that might be why your settings access setting isn't taking effect. Set if through option 150 in DHCP.

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

our router holds our TFTP files for the phones the .bin .loads .sb2 .sbn are stored in the flash for the phones to access when they connect.

all the rest of my phones work and i can configure them any way i want to... also if i were to plug them into a wall outlet without pluging into a PoE switch  shouldnt i still be able to hit the settings button and at least look at the settings to change anything i want?

Hi Mike

If you have load files on a router, but config files on the CUCM then you should have your DHCP server pointing Op 150 at your CUCM, and use the 'load server' field to reference the router with load files.

If this phone previously had a config file with settings disabled that might explain why the button isn't accessible. Until it gets a TFTP config file with a corrected setting it'll stay like that.

You do have CUCM right? Not just CME?

Have you tried a factory reset?

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

no just CME .... so if i dont have the correct TFTP config file for these phones ther is no way for them to communicate to anything ? that would suck =( cause there is no way to know what Call Manager they were using or what settings they had b4 they come to me

and yes if you had read my very first post i stated that i can  factory reset them by holding # upon boot and then 123456789*0# and then 2 to not save any network settings. thanks for help Aaron ... you might be on to something here ...

and i do have option 150 enabled for our DHCP settings

Well since you cant see anything in the settings to check if their old call manager ip addresses are still in there as the tftp server one thing you could try is:

plug the phones into a cisco switch, set up a monitor session on that switch to output everything the port is doing that the phone is connected to, then put a pc on that mirrored port with wireshark running. The capture will show you what ip address the phones are trying to talk to for their tftp loads. Then you can setup a router with that ip address and put your load files on the router, then maybe things will be accessible for the first time? You should be able to figure out the network to use as well from the broadcasts being sent.

Tracy

i had wireshark hooked up to try and monitor it and it wouldnt pull any info ... i tried this about a month or 2 ago when i had 2 phones like this .. then i just parted them out and and tossed the motherboards =/ i will give it a shot again ... maybe i didnt have the ports mirrored correctly the first time ... thanks for the input Tracy

nope ... they dont aquire an IP at all ... its like the firmware is corrupt and the phone cant communicate with anything ... i have pluged these phones in without a ethernet cable... just with a wall outlet and they do the same thing its like they are stuck =(