Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

827-4v : only inbound audio, half duplex connection?

G'day!

Please bear with me; I'm very new at all this and feeling my way through cisco configuration by brute force. anybody feel like paying for some training? :)

Anyway: I'm attempting to configure an 827-4V for deployment at a remote site. I've got it up on a bench beside me with a regular analogue handset in POTS 1. I've set up a dial-peer on our 2611 that sends all calls to 4301 (the desired extension number) directly to the 827's IP as a SIPv2 session. the 2600 side of the config looks like this:

dial-peer voice 101 voip

huntstop

application session

destination-pattern 4301

session target ipv4:192.168.1.5

codec g723r63

no vad

On the 827, I've set up a reciprocal peer:

!

dial-peer voice 1 pots

port 1

!

dial-peer voice 101 pots

description main incoming

destination-pattern 4301

port 1

!

I can establish a call from the internal phone (which is connected to a panasonic PBX that routes through two e/m lines to the 2611) to the 827, but sound only goes one way to the 827. Which is great if all we ever needed to do was yell at whoever answered the phone in the remote office, but I'm guessing that's not going to keep the boss happy.

At the moment I've got it connected to our internal network only via eth0; obviously I cannot set up the DSL connection from here. Is that the problem right there? Or is it something to do with sh int eth0 reporting a 10Mb half duplex connection? I've tried new cables, a different port, even explicitly telling it that the eth0 port is full duplex (duplex command not supported on this model).

I've got an uphill battle to get this thing configured ahead of me (basically because I have no idea what I'm doing) but I'm hoping this will be the major stumbling block, and that once past it I can happily configure it.

Thanks in advance!

9 REPLIES

Re: 827-4v : only inbound audio, half duplex connection?

Matt,

Make sure you can ping between the two gateways. Good place to start.

Your codec on 2611 end is g723. You definitely do want to setup same codec on the other end.

instead of dial-peer voice 1 pots, make it

dial-peer voice 1 voip

incoming called-number . (or 4301)

application session

codec g723r63

no vad

On the 2611 also add,

dial-peer voice 101 voip

session protocol sipv2

Also is there any reason to use SIP. You may as well use H323 instead of SIP in this scenario, since all parties involved are Cisco equipment.

HTH

Sankar

PS: please remember to rate posts!

Community Member

Thanks for the speedy and (3)Helpful response :)

Pinging between both devices works a treat, so basic connectivity isn;t the problem. I did run into trouble attempting to change the config. when I tried to enter

dial-peer voice 1 voip

it spat the dummy; it will only allow me to configure it as a POTS. which in turn also meant I couldn't specify the codec (obviously).

so right now, I've got the 827 configured with:

!

voice-port 1

cptone AU

!

voice-port 2

cptone AU

!

voice-port 3

cptone AU

!

voice-port 4

cptone AU

!

dial-peer voice 1 voip

incoming called-number 4301

answer-address 4301

codec g723r63

no vad

!

and the dial peer on the 2611 is

dial-peer voice 101 voip

huntstop

application session

destination-pattern 4301

session protocol sipv2

session target ipv4:192.168.1.5

codec g723r63

no vad

!

And now I can't call the 827 any more; I get an "engaged" tone. I think I should go home and have a nap!

Is the duplex issue an issue? I cannot for the life of me think why its connecting at half duplex. that's can't be helping matters!

as for sip... It wasn't my choice, and if I can make this work with h.323 then I'm happy to. they're wanting to deploy a bunch on linksys pap2t boxes in home offices which will be connecting to the head office via private links. We don't have a gateway machine as such, all telephony is handled by the (ugh) panasonic. I suspect sip was chosen because it doesn't require that overhead. That said, we will shortly be moving to 2811 boxes (my next task is to figure out what WICs they need to buy with them); would that make life any simpler?

Many thanks again!

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Hi Mattew,

can you make a simple diagram, even an ascii one, indicating all the devices involved, and where NAT or FW is applied ?

Matt,

when you made these config changes, looks like you didnt set the pots dial-peer on the 827 to ring the phone.

dial-peer voice 2 pots

destination-pattern 4301

port 1

HTH

Sankar

Community Member

My mother always told me I was special. I'm guessing that's the sort of thing she was talking about :) Thankyou, now I can ring it again.

Anyway, I've added an attachment showing roughly how things are laid out here. At the moment, the 827 is plugged in to the intranet here for testing; once I've confirmed voice works both ways it will be stuck on the other end of a private link about 100km north of here. That's going to be a whole other kind of fun; there's a mystery pbx up there that will pose a challenge. the 'phone guy' tells me it is just a dumb device that may as well not be there, but I have my doubts.

Before anyone makes fun of me - no, I didn't design this or spec the hardware or have much of anything at all to do with it. I'm just the bloke who has to make it work and keep it that way! we will be replacing the primary 2611 with two new 2811s and the remote 2611 with either a 2801 or a 2811. the 827, however, is here to stay. So too is the pana d500 which I would love to replace with pretty much anything, be it CCM or even an asterisk box...

Matt,

So after you added the dial-peer, does audio work both ways ? We can try some changes in config to setup H323 instead of SIP to see if it works. I will post the configs here soon.

Community Member

Audio is still only working one way, to the 827 but not back. Given it's all still on the same subnet NAT shouldn't be an issue. H.323 is looking even better than it already did!

Community Member

I should add that the phone has tested OK on a regular line, and while the call is active the rx light flashes enough to induce epilepsy but the tx light remains quiet.

Community Member

Looking at the syslog after establishing a call show this interesting message:

%CALL_CONTROL-6-APP_NOT_FOUND: Application session in dial-peer 1 not found. Handing callid 3 to default app.

copuld this be the source of my problems?

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content