Views
Helpful
Replies

8961 won't register

mcdonovan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We have new 8961 phones that register if the primary line is configured.  If a phone has the primary line blank, with other lines configured, the phones won't register.  Anyone familiar with this?

CUCM System version: 8.5.1.15900-4

Load on phone sip8961.9-4-1-9

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi

This is an expected behavior from Cisco SIP Phones. 

When CUCM generates the configuration file for sip phones, it will send the phone information about the lines as well:

Line1, Line2 ..etc

If you keep the Line1 as blank, then  the configuration file will have no details on the Line1 parameter. 

By default, before sending register request, Cisco phones would run a inbuilt function to check the minimum configuration. And one of the important parameters in the check is "Line 1 configured or not"

If not then it will through an error "Line 1 not configured" and delete the configuration and repeat the whole process of downloading the file from TFTP and doing the checks

This Line1 is an important parameter.

Regards

Aditya

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

Aman Soi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

I did not find any bug associated with working firmware .

Can u try uploading latest FW  9.4(1)SR1 and check?

http://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=282749265&softwareid=282074288&os=&release=9.4(1)SR1&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=&reltype=latest&i=!pp

regds,

aman

Thanks Aman, I'll give this a shot and let you know the results.

Hi Aman.  I upgraded to sip8961.9-4-1SR1-2 with no luck.  Behavior remains the same.  I may have to go to Cisco with this one.  I'll let you know what they find.

Hi,

Please check the following links

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/11824101/cisco-8961-not-registered-rejected

http://blog.qsolved.com/2014/01/how-can-we-register-8961-to-cucm-86.html

HTH

Manish

Thanks Manish.  The links advise that a line needs to be configured for the SIP phone to register.  The problem is we have a line configured (but not the primary line), and phones still won't register.  The phone only registers when the primary line is configured. 

We have a unique setup where the customer wants the primary line blank, so this is causing an issue.

The phone should send separate registrations for each line.  How are you verifying the phone isn't registered?  Just via the CUCM web page?  That might not be a good test for this scenario.  Usually a SIP phone with primary line registered and secondary lines not registered will show as Partial Registered but it may show as Unknown or Unregistered if the primary line isn't registered.

Hi all. Thanks for the responses.  I went to TAC ( 630512191 ) and they state that with SIP phones, the primary line has to be configured, regardless of whether other lines on the phone are configured, or it won't register.  Customer was not happy, but there is nothing that can be done.

Hi,

thanks for update.

Is there any reason mentioned by TAC?

regds,

aman

Hi Amam,  Below are details of what TAC provided:

Problem description:- 8961 phones fail to register if primary line on the phone does not have a DN assigned to it.

Resolution summary:- SIP is a peer to peer protocol which requires a DN to be configured for the registration to complete. In cisco SIP phones it is mandatory to configure the primary line as the register message propagated by the SIP phones requires the DN from the primary Line

thanks  a lot.

regds,

aman

Hi

This is an expected behavior from Cisco SIP Phones. 

When CUCM generates the configuration file for sip phones, it will send the phone information about the lines as well:

Line1, Line2 ..etc

If you keep the Line1 as blank, then  the configuration file will have no details on the Line1 parameter. 

By default, before sending register request, Cisco phones would run a inbuilt function to check the minimum configuration. And one of the important parameters in the check is "Line 1 configured or not"

If not then it will through an error "Line 1 not configured" and delete the configuration and repeat the whole process of downloading the file from TFTP and doing the checks

This Line1 is an important parameter.

Regards

Aditya

[+5} Aditya for providing the additional information. I was unable to find any official documentation confirming this behavior. I think we can collect packet captures for a scenario with Primary line configured and another with primary line not configured and confirm this behavior.

Manish

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: