Replies

9971 - Disabling NIC on connected PC kills phone audio stream

Tim Walker
Level 1
Level 1

Dear forum users.

CUCM Cluster:- System version: 8.6.2.22900-9

9971 Active Load:- sip9971.9-3-2SR1-1

A very simple problem. If you are using a PC connected to the PC port of a 9971, and you disable the NIC of the connected PC, the audio stream of the call on the phone will cut out and you just get silence. However, if you navigate to Ethernet statistics on the 9971, Rx and Tx frames are still incrementing so the RTP packets are still being presented to the phone. Moreover, if you place the call on hold and then resume it, the audio stream will come back and you can resume the call.

This occurs on both external PSTN calls using a call flow of 9971 - CUCM - H.323 ISR - E1 and an internal call to another IP phone (SCCP 8945). I have tested this on 4 different 9971s and the problem is the same so it is very unlikely to be a hardware fault with the phone. I have also tested on a SCCP 8945 which is the vast majority of handsets in this cluster and the problem does not occur.

Admittedly disabling a NIC on a PC is very rare but what is happening to the customer is they are being told to re-boot their PC by IT support while on the phone to them, and the re-boot of the PC is causing the NIC to disable and thus the audio stream of the call is disconnected. 

Has anyone heard of or experienced this issue? I could not find anything similar on CCO bug tool kit. I am pretty sure it will be a 9971 defect but I thought I would throw it out there before logging a TAC case.

2 Replies 2

Dennis Mink
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

start by putting the latest software loads on the phones: 

cmterm-9971.9-3-4-24.cop.sgn

sounds like some sort of built in bridge bug. 

9.3.4 has a tonne of resolved bugs

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cuipph/9971_9951_8961/firmware/9_3_4/english/release_notes/P567_BK_RFEC81C9_00_rn-9_3_4-8961-9951-9971.pdf

=============================
Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.

=============================

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.

Hi Tim,

You are hitting this bug.

CSCuf93609 Bug Details

9951 loses audio on active call when link with pc port is disconnected
Symptom:
When the cable between 9951 and the pc connected to the pc port gets disconnected during an active call there is no audio anymore, the call stays active.

Conditions:
Running firmware version 9.3(2)ES10 or ES12, does not happen with 9.3(2)

As suggested by Mr. Dennis, upgrade to latest firmware and check.

regds,

aman