Views
Helpful
Replies

9971 firmware upgrade fails

dannymget
Level 1
Level 1

Hi.

I would liike to upgrade the 9971 phones from 9.0.2 to 9.0.4.
They always get a fail after the more or less uncontrollabe upgrade process. The information is not easy to get and helpful. In the console log, I have the impression, that it complains about a TFTP timeout. But since all other phone types are working well with their upgrades (79er), I doubt that the TFTP makes really a timout.
Does anybody have a hint, what this could be or point me somewhere to a helpful hint?

Thanks and regards

Danny

3 Replies 3

Felipe Garrido
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Get a packet capture off of the back of the phone for when it attempts to upgrade. it will tell us why the upgrade fails.

-Felipe

Joseph Martini
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I see that other phones update fine, do any 9971 phones update correctly?  The timeout can also indicate that the firmware file was not able to be downloaded, meaning it's missing.  What version of call manager are you running and has the 9971 registered to the call manager before on 9.0.2?

Hi.

It's currently the only 9971 on that test cluster, but I had other units before running there. But there was no newer firmware available, so I had no problem.There is no traffic on the TFTP, so a real timeout seems unlikely. I wish those units would have a dedicated upgrade log. This would make it easier than running through the cryptic message log. CUCM is 7.1.5. I will check again with the lastest DP, maybe there is a file missing that wasn't necessary before...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: