I'm running CUCM 7.1.3 and am trying to update the Primary DN for approx. 240 existing phones. Basically I created these phones with a *XXXXX DN for the purpose of TAP'ing them. The DNs without the "*" existing in the dial plan on a trunk to a Nortel PBX. We have removed the routing to the Nortel and now I want to configure the phones with their actual DNs.
So here's how I'm going about updating the DNs:
1. Export phones with all details
2. Open file as .csv (get error that says Excel can't open all records - not sure if this is a problem)
3. Remove the * for the DNs
4. Upload file as "Add Phones, All Details"
5. Run job "Insert Phones, All Details, Overwrite Existing Information"
Every time I run this job, the first 15 records in the file get updated no problem. The rest of the .csv file fails with the following error:
SEPXXXXXXXXXXXX Record does not match the file format selected.
No matter how I order the .csv or even delete the first 15 records and re-upload, re-run the job, the first 15 records pass and everything else fails with the same error.
I'm not able to access my old voice mail messages all of a sudden. The recording says something like 'the message is currently not available'. This has never happened before in all the years I have been using this system. I have t...