Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

adding 2960s switch for voip

Hello everyone,

I got a new 2960s L3 PoE switch and need to enable it for voip on our network. The phone vendor is coming in to enable the phoen system for voip and I need to know how to configure the switch for the new IP phones.

I need to know how to create a new VLAN on the switch so the IP phones will be on their own subnet and create a DHCP server on the switch as well for the IP phones. Also, I need to connect this new switch to the existing catalyst 4507R, I will use a regular ethernet cable. Someone said I need to trunk the ports ont he 2 switches, how do I do that, do I use any 2 ports on the switches?

I have 6 Cisco switches on the network and they are all connected, this new switch will be the 7th one. I need to telnet into the switch to set all this up. Can someone please help and show me how to do this?

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Super Gold

Re: adding 2960s switch for voip

I got a new 2960s L3 PoE switch and need to enable it for voip on our network.

2960 or 2960S?  At any which case, the 2960/2960G/2960S is not a "genuine" layer 3 switch.  This only will do very limited static routes.

Someone said I need to trunk the ports ont he 2 switches, how do I do that, do I use any 2 ports on the switches?

If you have two or more VLANs and you want each VLANs to talk to each other then, yes, you need to configure inter-VLAN routing.  The best place to configure this in on your core switch (if this core switch supports routing).   I would also suggest you configure your VoIP phone DHCP in the core switch as well.

1 REPLY
Hall of Fame Super Gold

Re: adding 2960s switch for voip

I got a new 2960s L3 PoE switch and need to enable it for voip on our network.

2960 or 2960S?  At any which case, the 2960/2960G/2960S is not a "genuine" layer 3 switch.  This only will do very limited static routes.

Someone said I need to trunk the ports ont he 2 switches, how do I do that, do I use any 2 ports on the switches?

If you have two or more VLANs and you want each VLANs to talk to each other then, yes, you need to configure inter-VLAN routing.  The best place to configure this in on your core switch (if this core switch supports routing).   I would also suggest you configure your VoIP phone DHCP in the core switch as well.

Views
Helpful
Replies