cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Advantages of Using Gatekeeper Versus Intercluster Trunks

jcsmith96
Level 1
Level 1

We are in the process of designing a 3-6 subscriber 6.x cluster. What are some of the advantages and disadvantages of using a gatekeeper in the cluster as compared to ICT trunks.

6 Replies 6

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

How many clusters are you going to have?

This is typically the big driver as you can centralize your dial plan in GK, the other pro of GK is Call Admission Control over location based CAC that can get tedious.

Chris

we are going to have a single cluster, probably 3 subs. HUB/Spoke configuration. We want the capability to call other clusters via 7 digit dialing. I have heard that there;s a limitation using ICT call capacity and functionality. Also that we would need to configure both Clusters.

How many other clusters?

There is no limitation as all the traffic on ICT is just signaling.

RTP is between the endpoints.

Chris

Hello,

Just to add a note, if you are going to have a single cluster, then you wouldn't need an ICT, as that is for communication between 2 separate clusters.

we are looking for the the communications to other clusters, I didn't want to build ICT between them. I am interested in using if possible a Gatekeeper to do it. And was wondering if there's and advantage using a GK.

As I said the big one is going to be cetrelized dial plan and CAC.

Chris

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: