cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Allowing a Hotel call to bypass internal DNs?

timsilverline
Level 4
Level 4

I am a novice with voice but am trying to figure something out for our CEO and was hoping this board could clarify my assumptions based on what I am seeing.

This is the situation...

He owns a condo at a hotel and has many Cisco phones throughout.  He also has a couple of lines coming into a 2901 voice gateway that connect both to the local PSTN and directly to the hotel's internal telephone system.  All of this ties back to a CallManager which is reachable via VPN at our main office.

The phones in the condo all have three lines on them - one for his regular internal company extension, one for the hotel room number, and one for the local PSTN line.

What we are trying to achieve is the ability to dial 3-digit hotel numbers from the hotel line and have them go out directly to the hotel.

With what I have setup so far it is working to a point.  If I dial a  3 digit number that is not currently an extension within our CallManager system it works fine.  However, if I dial an extension that DOES exist within our company it always routes to that extension rather than to the hotel line.

As I look through the route patterns I notice that there is no route pattern setup for internal extensions and so I am trying to determine if there is any way to exclude dialing internal numbers from this line but rather force all calls from this line to be routed to the 2901 and out to the hotel line.

I know there is probably a way I could do this by having him dial a specific number prior to dialing the hotel extension and building a translation pattern in CallManager to send back to the 2901 with the proper 3 digits but this is not what he wants.  He wants it to be simple for anyone that comes and just have them be able to dial the hotel extension.

Can anyone confirm if what he is asking for is even possible, and if so, provide some guidance to get me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Tim

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Tim,

This can be done, but the CSS from the device needs to be removed and only CSSes on the DNs need to be used.  Since the primary line is a shared line for other devices the CSS on line would be changed and this might affect outbound routing from his "hotel" phone. You may need to build additional CSS to accomplish your exact requirements, but short answer is this is definitely doable.

So,

line 1 access all internal extensions

line 2 access to hotel extensions

Chris

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Tim,

Surely, this is all controlled via calling search spaces and partitions, however internal DNs always have preference, if there are internal extension that's overlap they will be routed first unless you completely exclude these.

Why not add prefix ie another digit to route hotel calls instead and ensure there are no overlaps.

Chris

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

just to add to chris

if you can provide us with an example with numbers of how you dialing and how you want it to be then it will make it easier to help you out in this case

Ok here is an example....

Let's say the extension for the hotel line is 676 and this is the same DN that exists in CallManager for it.

When dialing from this DN we would like to be able to dial the other rooms within the hotel which are all 3 digit numbers.  This DN only has one calling search space which has only one partition assigned to it - both of these are dedicated only to the hotel.

If we dial a number, 678 for example, that is not a DN with UCM, this works.  CallManager sees the 3 digit Route Pattern for the hotel and hands it off to the router with the POTS line attached for the hotel.  The gateway has a route pattern to send all 3 digit numbers (besides 911) out the hotel line.

If we dial another number, say 105, which exists in CallManager, this always gets routed to the internal extension associated with 105 DN, rather than to the hotel room 105. 

My question is whether there is any way to exclude this capability from this line and route 105 directly to the voice gateway instead of preferring the internal DN, without using a prefix.  Chris you say that "unless you completely exclude these" I cannot prevent this.  Is there a way I can completely exclude these only for this DN?  Or is a prefix the only option at all?

Thanks,

Tim

Tim,

This can be done, but the CSS from the device needs to be removed and only CSSes on the DNs need to be used.  Since the primary line is a shared line for other devices the CSS on line would be changed and this might affect outbound routing from his "hotel" phone. You may need to build additional CSS to accomplish your exact requirements, but short answer is this is definitely doable.

So,

line 1 access all internal extensions

line 2 access to hotel extensions

Chris

as Chris mentioned above

by using a CSS on the line where you want to call the hotel numbers that has access only to the route patterns of the hotel number range and no access to other internal CM extension numbers you can get it working as you want

hope this help

pls rate the helpful posts

Thanks guys this was the answer.

After removing the calling search space on the phone, and making sure each DN had a calling search space associated with it, I am able to dial the hotel's 3 digit numbers from the hotel line, while maintaining internal dialing capability from the company line.