Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Analog Phone Keeps ringing when connected to FXS port0

I have a 2811 router as my voice gateway with a VIC2-2FXS module inserted in this router. I havn't configured any commands for the voice-ports. But when I connect an analog phone to port 0 of this FXS module the phone continously keeps on ringing (when on-hook) and with dial-tone when off-hook. The phone is dead when connected to port 1.

I am using Advanced IP Services IOS, ver 12.4(6)T.

What kind of RJ11 cable should I use when connecting from FXS port to an analog phone, straight or rolled??

Thanks in Advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Analog Phone Keeps ringing when connected to FXS port0

Hi there,

Mack sure you are using a 2 wire cable. I have had some funny issues reported in the past by customers and generally it is down to the cable. See the link below for more details.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk652/tk653/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094fac.shtml#info

Hope this helps,

Gary.

2 REPLIES

Hi there,

Mack sure you are using a 2 wire cable. I have had some funny issues reported in the past by customers and generally it is down to the cable. See the link below for more details.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk652/tk653/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094fac.shtml#info

Hope this helps,

Gary.

Thanks Gary,

Using a 2 wire cable helped fix the problem. But the cable had to be custom made - On the FXS side pins 3 & 4 were used and on the phone side pins 2 & 5 were used. It didn't matter if the cable was straight or rolled (Will have to do further testing to make sure). Anyway the continous ringing has stopped when on-hook and dial-tone can be heard when off hook. Also port 1 of FXS module has come out of the shutdown state.

Views
Helpful
Replies