Views
Helpful
Replies

another licensing question

a.gooding
Level 5
Level 5

Guys,

very new to 5.X and have some questions. i recieved 2 DL PAK (device units qty 100. now from my understanding and correct me if im worng, those are the phone licenses and also each phone has a weight so qty 100 doesnt necesarily mean i can register 100 phones.

secondly, we have two of these. we also have a pub and a sub. i know i need to load both of these licenses on the PUB but my question is that they ask for the MAC of the server. will both licenses be registered under the MAC of the PUB only? or will 100 be the PUB mac AND the SUB mac be the other 100.

im thinking both has to be the PUB mac. FINALLY, node licensing...LIC-CM5.0-7815-I2= is what im seeing on the configuration tool. we didnt receive this license though. im assuming this is the node license and without this i cant even activate any services on the CCM.

please adivse.

thanks in advance

10 Replies 10

kevintang
Level 1
Level 1

firest the licence only need load on the Pub. so you need the MAC for the pub.

Node licence is for how many callmanager server. if you have 1 pub and 1 sub, then you need 2 node licence. if you add another sub, you will not be able to active the service in that sub.

each IP phone take 4 unit licence. so if you have 100 unit licence, you only can load 25 Cisco ip phone.

Do not forget rate the answer. ^-^

from documentation though its not set at 4 per say. each phone has a different wieght value based on features etc so i think thats why the also have the license calc on the CCM itself to know how much units you really need based on the type of phones you might want to have.

thanks for the answer

one more question as well though. if im migrating 40 users from a cme environement to ccm 5.0 how would that affect the phone licensing issue. cisco provides 100% investment protection therefore, the phone licenses i bought with the cme system should be able to be used somehow with the new 5.x system shouldnt it?

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Arvind,

More complicated licensing stuff :( Here is the info you were looking for (I hope). You are correct that your investment in CME phones will be protected;

Q. I have a Cisco Unified CallManager Express (CME) customer who wishes to upgrade to Cisco Unified CallManager 5.1. What steps do I need to follow to ensure the licensing transfers?

A. Do the following:

1. Determine how many and what type of devices are on the customer's Cisco Unified CME.

2. Enter the quantity of each device in the "yellow" cell in the Cisco Unified CallManager Device License Unit Calculator pasted at the end of this document.

3. Contact licensing@cisco.com with the MAC address of the publisher and the number of device license units calculated in step 2. The customer does not need a node license-it comes with the new Cisco Unified CallManager.

From this excellent licensing doc;

Cisco Unified CallManager Licensing

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_qanda_item0900aecd805a7062.shtml

Here is the DLU breakdown;

Cisco Unified IP Phone 7902G = 1

Cisco Unified IP Phone 7905G = 2

Cisco Unified IP Phone 7911G = 3

Cisco Unified IP Phone 7912G = 3

Cisco Unified Wireless IP Phone 7920 (no battery) = 4

Cisco Unified IP Conference Station 7936 = 3

Cisco Unified IP Phone 7940G = 4

Cisco Unified IP Phone 7941G = 4

Cisco Unified IP Phone 7941G-GE = 4

Cisco Unified IP Phone 7960G = 4

Cisco Unified IP Phone 7961G = 4

Cisco Unified IP Phone 7961G-GE = 4

Cisco Unified IP Phone 7970G = 5

Cisco Unified IP Phone 7971G = 5

Cisco Unified IP Phone 7985G = 6

Third-party SIP device (basic) = 3 (third-party)

Third-party SIP device (advanced) = 6 (third-party

From this doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_qanda_item0900aecd805009fc.shtml

Hope this helps!

Rob

thanks,

got that document last night and sent out the request to licensing. was getting a little scared becuase im now about to do a migration to 5.x from ccme and told the customer that they had 100% investment protection. i contacted a rep and was told that i needed to purchase licenses so i got "flustered"

p.s: this licensing thing will be my downfall...hehe

Hi,

I have a MCS-7835 HP server. It is a fresh installation and a new server.

From where I will get the MAC address of the server ? It is not listed anywhere outside the server.

Thanks,

Pete

Hi Pete,

Have you tried this method?

Step 1 On the server>Windows Start menu, click Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt.

Step 2 In the Command Prompt window, enter ipconfig /all, and press Enter.

Step 3 Write down the value of Physical Address, excluding the hyphens, or save it to a file that you can access during online registration. (For example, if the physical address is 00-A1-B2-C3-D4-E5, record 00A1B2C3D4E5. **This is the MAC of the 7835)

Step 4 Close the Command Prompt window.

Hi,

I am doing a new installation. I am thinking whether I can get the license file before starting the installation.

Evenif I start the installation since this OS is not Windows, how can I go to Start > program Files> command prompt.

Thanks,

Pete

hey,

go to OS administration and log on with the "other username" and password. the "other" unsername is the one you specified during the install.

when you get to os adminstration you will see network and you can get the MAC from there.

btw,

ive just completed my roll-out of 5.0 and its buggy to say the least. be careful with DN changes and CSS/Partitions and MGCP. its working fine now after much manipulation but still intermittently having DN issues that worked fine the day before. currently in the process of upgrading to 5.1

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: