cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Area code limitations - CCM4

iancarder
Level 1
Level 1

I've been getting more involved with our call manager setup. Other than me installing phones, it has basically been on auto pilot.

We have a list of allowed area codes that my boss gave the consultant when the Cisco voice system was initially installed a few years back. I've been poking around the call manager configs, but I can't find any place where those area code limitations are actually applied.

So an example is, I live in PA and I call dial out to a 215, 610 and so on. However, I can't dial out to my buddy in Arizona. So somewhere, there's some logic that is limiting outward dialing, but I can't find it. There are no special rules for outbound route patterns other than 9.@ and no filters to speak of.

Contacting the consultant isn't an option as he's no longer employed with the company who contracted the job originally.

Any ideas?

9 Replies 9

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You may have an h.323 gateway, and the rules there. Check router configuration.

Thanks for the quick reply. So are you saying I should check out the voice gateway router's running config? Anything I should be looking for specifically?

Well, these are voice related commands, easy to spot with a little familiarity with routers.

If in doubt, purge sensitive numbers and post config here.

It looks like it's using MGCP.

Brandon Buffin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Are you using MGCP or H.323 on your gateway? The restriction could be imposed by the gateway. Also, could this be blocked by the telco?

Brandon

From the gateway config, it looks like MGCP. There is no mention of H.323.

I thought of the telco angle myself. My boss swears up and down that he didn't provision those restrictions.

I would suggest using the DNA (Dialed Number Analyzer) in CM. If you have a CM version that supports it.

DNA will let you see if the CM dialplan is not allowing the area code. Or if the call is making it out to the local telco and being blocked there.

Please remember to rate valuable posts

Thanks for the suggestion. I installed DNA and dialed a number in Arizona. The output included RouteThisPattern so it doesn't seem to be getting blocked at the call manager. Can you block patterns at the gateway(1700 router)? If so, it's not mentioned in the config so it must be in some table I don't know about...

Since its a MGCP gateway the dial-plan used is in Call Manager not locally on the router. So, from what your saying it sounds like a telco issue.

The only other thing I would check is that any digit mainpulation done (if at all) on the Route Pattern or Route List/Group is correct.

But once again DNA would show you the final dialed number that is sent to the telco.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: