Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asynchronous routing and VOIP

I have been getting mixed information about asynchronous routing and VOIP phones having problems. Our network is redundant everything. Dual WAN circuits, dual routers, switches, etc. And running a dynamic routing protocol you will inevitably have asynchronous routing. We have a couple hundred phones traversing this network and others through firewalls to get to the PBX/Gateways, other phones, remote gateways, etc. It has been like this for a few years with 95% of the time no issues. Rarely we have the dropped call and static issues. When we do have those issues I hear "asynchronous routing" is the culprit. I need some guidance and verification of what I need to look at or disregard when encoutering this.

Thanks

Doug

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Super Gold

Re: Asynchronous routing and VOIP

As mentioned above. You mean asymmetrical routing.

That is fine, as long there are is no blocking elements like firewall, NAT, etc. When you have these, you may have problems. The best design avoid their use completely.

3 REPLIES

Asynchronous routing and VOIP

please provide us with some more technical details, like a network diagram, specifically details on the path that you are having problems with. I dont think it is a good idea to assume "asynchronous routing" (BTW you probably mean asymmetric routing were a traffic flow uses different paths to and from a destination), is an issue. It is better to have an open mind and diagnose your problem with the information that you can gather.    thanks

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.

Hall of Fame Super Gold

As mentioned above. You mean asymmetrical routing.

That is fine, as long there are is no blocking elements like firewall, NAT, etc. When you have these, you may have problems. The best design avoid their use completely.

You are correct, I meant asymmetric routing based on minkdennis definition. I agree it is the best practice but it is not a show stopper. Thank you both for your help.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content