Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Auto QoS srnd4: queue-set 1 or queue-set 2 ?

Hello,

I've been looking around on the Cisco site for information on auto-qos and QoS best practices for 3750x/2960s platforms.

I've spent time looking at these three documents which looks up to date:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/solutions/Enterprise/Borderless_Networks/Smart_Business_Architecture/February2012/SBA_Ent_BN_LANDeploymentGuide-February2012.pdf

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/solutions/Enterprise/Borderless_Networks/Smart_Business_Architecture/February2012/SBA_Ent_BN_LANConfigurationGuide-February2012.pdf

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/solutions/Enterprise/WAN_and_MAN/QoS_SRND_40/QoSCampus_40.pdf

We find that when enabling auto qos voip cisco-phone and auto qos srnd4, queue-set 1 is configured with non default values (values are also docuemented in IOS configuration guide for 12.2.25 and 15.0 versions !):

mls qos queue-set output 1 threshold 1 100 100 50 200

mls qos queue-set output 1 threshold 2 125 125 100 400

mls qos queue-set output 1 threshold 3 100 100 100 400

mls qos queue-set output 1 threshold 4 60 150 50 200

mls qos queue-set output 1 buffers 15 25 40 20

Queue-set 2 remains with default values.

When looking at the configuration files (second link) all interface at the access Layer (2960s and 3750x) are configured to use queue-set 2 even those defined with the auto qos voip cisco-phone macro.

When I try this configuration on a 3750x running 12.2.58SE2 IOS, auto qos assigns queue-set 1 to an interface with auto qos voip cisco-phone (comfirmed by the debug auto qos output)

Does anyone have an idea why in my case the interface is assigned queue-set 1 with non-default values ?

Is it safe to assign queue-set 2 (with default values) to uplinks to the distribution layer ?

Are the different queue-set applied depending on the interface speed ( Fast Ethernet, Giga, TenGig ) ?

Thank's for any response.

Everyone's tags (3)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi Marc,

If you look at table 37-4 for in the Software Configuration Guide for the Cisco 3750x you will see that under auto-qos queue-set 1 is configure for 10/100 ethernet ports, and queue-set 2 is configured for 1Gb ports.

For 1Gig ports I would use queue-set 2.

Regards,

He-Wun

3 REPLIES

Marc,

I recognized that queue-set 1 is not used but configured, instead queue-set 2 is used. Do you have an answer idea to your question?

Do you have a clue why? Or is this a bug?

BR

Hi Marc,

If you look at table 37-4 for in the Software Configuration Guide for the Cisco 3750x you will see that under auto-qos queue-set 1 is configure for 10/100 ethernet ports, and queue-set 2 is configured for 1Gb ports.

For 1Gig ports I would use queue-set 2.

Regards,

He-Wun

Correct,

In chapter QoS of software configuration guide, in catégorie Configuring auto-qos, there is a table (the table number changes with IOS releases ) untittled  "Auto-QoS Configuration for the Egress Queues" which contains this information !

Thanks for the reply !

Marc

Views
Helpful
Replies