cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Avaya 9600 phones on Catalyst 3560

david-flores
Level 1
Level 1

Have a question regarding some issues when running Avaya 9600 phones on my 3560 switches. Under normal circumstances, our IP phones work properly when we manually tell the Avaya phone what vlan it should be in. We use these commands on the ports that have the 9600 phones:

interface GigabitEthernet0/3

description IP Phone

switchport access vlan 16

switchport mode access

switchport nonegotiate

switchport voice vlan 204

spanning-tree portfast

The problem is when I completely erase all the phone settings, or add a new phone out of the box to one of these switchports, the phone will not properly boot up until I manually add the vlan information into the phone. We had a power outage recently where when the power came back on, many of the ip phones lost their vlan information, and we had to manually walk to each desk to put in the vlan information so they could boot up. Wanted to know if there was some work around to this that anybody has experience who has a similar environment.

Thanks

3 Replies 3

allan.thomas
Level 8
Level 8

From the information that you have provided the configuration of the IP Phone is done manually not via dhcp?

Apparently it is possible to assign the VID using DHCP and configuring DHCP option 176, which contains a string such as the following:-

L2QVLAN=7 In this example L2QVLAN is configured VID 7.

Take a look at this post:-

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Unified%20Communications%20and%20Video&topic=Video%20over%20IP&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Dpass_through%26location%3Doutline%40%5E1%40%40.2cc1888a/0#selected_message

Rgds

Allan.

Pls rate helpful posts..

Yes, we are using dhcp, and we are using option 242 with the information that you mentioned. Upon further troubleshooting, I discovered that I needed to put that string in option 242 in both the voice vlan, as well as the corresponding data vlan.

DHCP Option 242 is for the Avaya 9600 as you have pointed not 176.

Please take a look at the following thread that I came across, not sure if will help, but it refers to details being dropped if the string is not configured correctly.

http://www.avayausers.com/showthread.php?t=15240&highlight=dhcp

Rgds

Allan.

Pls rate helpful posts...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: