cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Basic Fundamental IPT questions

melwoods
Level 1
Level 1

Hello to you all.  I have some basic questions and many of you will probably say to yourselves "really, he's asking this?"  Well yes really, I'm asking this.  Ok, so enough of the light hearted humor.  On to the questions.  First the scenario.  I have an office that is being built and there will be 6-10 occupants in this office.  I need to provide voice service as well as data service to the office.  The data service I've got down pat, so no questions there.  My questions are on the voice front.  I will join the site to my CUCM ver 8.6.2 to provide voice and voicemail for the office.  Any and all answers and opinions are welcomed.

1) Would a PRI or POTS lines be best in this scenario?

2) If PRI, would I go with a full PRI or is there an option to do a half PRI?

3) If POTS lines, how many would suffice?

4) SRST is in the plans, so would I use a combination of PRI and POTS?

Thank you all in advance for your assistance and feel free to add suggestions/hints if there appears to be some thing(s) I may have missed.

Melvin

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Melvin,

PRI vs. POTS usually comes down to cost, for 10 users you probably need no more than 4 POTS lines, which should be cheaper than a PRI or partial PRI. 

With that said PRI offers lots of feature POTS dont, i.e. DID, RDNIS for CAC, re-direct under SRST, Mobile Connect support, etc. So, if you can afford it go for it.

Another alternative would be SIP trunk, either centralized at the main site, or distributed at remote sites.

SRST supports any circuit type.

HTH,

Chris

View solution in original post

One other thing to throw into the mix is how will emergency calls be handeled?   If the calls are route to a centeralized site and your remote site is far away from HQ calls could be directed to the wrong 911 center.   For example - all calls are trunked back to HQ in Austin and someone calls 911 from the remote site in Amarillo the call would be routed to the Dispatch Center in Austin.   All that could be cured with a FXO line at the remote site and an appropriate dial plan configuration.

TONY

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Melvin,

PRI vs. POTS usually comes down to cost, for 10 users you probably need no more than 4 POTS lines, which should be cheaper than a PRI or partial PRI. 

With that said PRI offers lots of feature POTS dont, i.e. DID, RDNIS for CAC, re-direct under SRST, Mobile Connect support, etc. So, if you can afford it go for it.

Another alternative would be SIP trunk, either centralized at the main site, or distributed at remote sites.

SRST supports any circuit type.

HTH,

Chris

Thank you very much Chris for your input.

Melvin

No problem.

Please mark the question as answered to help others in the future.

Chris

One other thing to throw into the mix is how will emergency calls be handeled?   If the calls are route to a centeralized site and your remote site is far away from HQ calls could be directed to the wrong 911 center.   For example - all calls are trunked back to HQ in Austin and someone calls 911 from the remote site in Amarillo the call would be routed to the Dispatch Center in Austin.   All that could be cured with a FXO line at the remote site and an appropriate dial plan configuration.

TONY

Good point, I would only recommend centralizing dialing with SIP trunk, and most SIP providers support e911 services, sometimes at a higher tier which would take care of it.  Otherwise local POTS would be needed for emergency calling.

HTH,

Chris

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: