Views
Helpful
Replies

basic question about sccp, sip, and h323

net.comm.engr
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

I'm new to voip. I got a dump a question, does the call manager do protocol conversion between sip and sccp phones? if 2 phones (sccp and sip) register to the cucm, how does the call between the two works? There must be some kind of protocol conversion. Thanks

Also, I got some Tandberg video endpoints that I'd like to register to cucm using h323 and make calls between the three protocols, sccp, sip & h323? Does any one have a procedure to do this? Appreciate any input.

4 Replies 4

Manish Gogna
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Callmanager has the intelligence to accept signaling from different endpoints using different protocols in a single call and relay the signaling specific to the protocol that a particular endpoint understands. Simply put, for your case of a simple test call between a SIP and SCCP endpoint it will be talking sccp to one phone and sip to another. Once the call is setup it goes out of picture and rTP flows directly between the endpoints.

HTH

Manish

Manish Gogna
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

net.comm.engr
Level 1
Level 1

Manish,thanks , that's what I thought but just want to double check with experts on here

Dennis Mink
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

In terms of registering h323 endpoints, it depends on what endpoints you have, and you might need a gatekeeper/VCS.

check my post on that: 

http://ciscoshizzle.blogspot.com.au/2013/10/vcs-architecture-components-call.html

=============================
Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.

=============================

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: