Views
Helpful
Replies

BE6K, 2 publishers (clusters) on same UCS hardware

rodgero81
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Is it possible to install two different clusters (2 publishers) in a Cisco UCM BE 6000 Edition on the same UCS hardware?

Regards                  

18 Replies 18

Gregory Brunn
Spotlight
Spotlight

The BE 6000 is based on TRC#2 of the C220 M3S.

The medium density server is the one that is selected when you use the bundle part number. The high density parts can be found here.

http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/UC_Virtualization_Supported_Hardware#C220_M3S_.28SFF.29_TRC.231

More on sizing UC on UCS

http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/Unified_Communications_Virtualization_Sizing_Guidelines

Let me know if this is helpful.

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

That would not be supported, as BE6K is meant to be single system for small deployments, technically nothing would prevent you from running 2 clusters, but I question the reasoning. If you need larger deployment then dont get BE6K but traditional deployment and fit all on one cluster. Is this perhaps for a lab? What is your reasoning for doing this?

HTH,

Chris

rodgero81
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you for the answers.

Well the need for 2 publishers is that a company is divided into 2 sub entities and they would like to have a separate cluster for each.

I know that we can separate the two entities by using device pools, partitions and so on ... however for some reasons we have been asked if we can have 2 different clusters on the same BE 6K server knowing that for both entities the number of users do not exceed 1,000 users.

I see no technical limitiation, however is it a Cisco certified deployment?

Regards

No, it is not a certified deployment and I doubt it would be supported. As stated earlier BE6K was meant to be a bundle of hardware/software for small/mid size deployments running on single server.  You should look at 2 separate servers for your requirements. In fact does Unity Connection and all other apps you are planning on deploying not need to follow the same division? If so you will have more VMs from what is supported today (4 or 5).

HTH, please rate all useful posts!

Chris

One cluster only of the 2 will have a UCCX application, other applications like Unity and Presence will not be used.

Regards

According to SRND...you can have two clusters....

Note     More than two UCS C200 Rack-Mount Servers may be clustered for a Business Edition 6000 deployment to provide additional redundancy and/or geographic distribution. However, the total number of users across the cluster may not exceed 1,000 and the total number of configured devices across the cluster may not exceed 1,200.

Please refer to SRND for more details

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/srnd/8x/callpros.html#wp1158961

Please rate all useful posts

I saw that in the SRND, this is not 2 clusters. What they mean is i think you can have one cluster but with more than one server of UCS (even you can cluster UCS and MCS).

The needed is to have 2 clusters (2 CUCM publishers) within the same BE6K server.

Regards

You are indeed correct...it's a single cluster with two subscribers. I don't see why you can't have two separate clusters on different hardware platforms. However in your scenario I question the logic for that. From a practical point, it will work, you will need two servers for each cluster

You can't have two publishers in a single cluster, that's a no brainier.

Is it mentioned somewhere in SRND or Q&A that a two publishers deployment is not supported?

Regards

Hi

If you are talking about two publisher in same cluster :- Not suported

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/srnd/9x/callpros.html

The publisher is a required server in all clusters, and as shown in Figure 8-1, there can be only one publisher per cluster.

Regards
Ronak Patel

Rate all helpful post by clicking stars below the answer.

Regards Ronak Patel Rate all helpful post by clicking stars below the answer.

It's clearly documented in the SRND...look at the link I sent to you..

Hello Ayo, I want to deploy a similar scenario in a lab environment. I have three separate servers for this. One server is hosting publisher 1.another server is hosting subscriber 1 for publisher 1.The third is hosting publisher 2.

Extensions at publisher 1 are 99xx while extensions at publisher 2 are  33xx.

I have configure a route pattern to 99xx from publisher 2 and to 33xx from publisher 1.i have equally set up route list, route group and h323 gateway. Phones @ publisher 1 cannot .communicate with phones at publisher 2

Can you help?

Hi,

Can you tell the exact call flow ? in this case, a direct SIP trunk or an inter cluster trunk is enough to route the calls between the 2 clusters. May we know why you are using H323 gateway here ?

HTH
Rajan
Pls rate all helpful posts
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: